1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Vegetable Patch in Progress

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Nikos Koukos, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Im a bit confused. Are you saying that you have a pile of earth somewhere?
    If so, definitely use it.

2. Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Have you seen the picture I uploaded? I basically dig that out. I have earth that I removed but it's really full of stones and chukies etc. I was thinking sieve it and reuse it with a compost mix and then top soil to seed?

Sorry I'm really new to this so may talking rubbish

3. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    No, you’re not “talking rubbish” :) If you’re worried about the stones, then I suppose you could just sieve the area you plan to have your root crops (carrots), but sieving the whole lot will be very time consuming. It might be an idea to sow a row of carrots in the un-sieved area, to compare.

4. Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Freddy. That actually makes good sense.

Is there any need to apply fertilizer of any kind also? In terms of top soil what depth would this typical be?

5. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    From memory, when I last put together raised beds (mixing topsoil with MPC), I didn’t need to add any fertiliser. Some folks do, some don’t. A lot depends on how far you want to go with it. You could for instance test your soil (ph test). I found that by adding plenty of organic matter, that was enough to grow pretty good crops.
    @Steve R posted a very good video, one of many by Charles Dowding, like this one...

Have a watch of a few of them, very good. Like you, my beds will have been dug, but I’m going to adopt this method going forward.

6. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    To add on a slight tangent, from the photos it looks like you have a relatively small area for the bed? I've been growing vegetables in a small urban garden for the last three years and it's been an experiment in size vs output - everything has to earn it's keep to come back the following year. Looking at your space I would personally be inclined to skip on the potatoes for now; from past experience the amount of bed space they take up vs the volume and quality of the final product just isn't worth it. On the flip side I've found things like celeriac, parsnip, carrot and tomatoes (though maybe not in your climate?) to be well worth their while - and cut-and-come-again salad is brilliant.

7. Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
    +12

Thank You for the input.

It's not bad. You can't see the whole bed and it still needs dug out but it's about 10m2. Potatoes may be better in a separate raised bed.

This bed I'm showing I'm keen to do things like carrot and beets but I'm so confused about compost and soil.

Ideally I would be able to reuse the soil I've dug up if I can sieve it to create a base over some cardboard mulch. There after I can fill it with compost

• Informative Informative x 1
    • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      Aaah that's bigger that it looks then, your potato plans can continue :biggrin:

Carrots tend to do best in less fertile soil - I grow mine in large regtangular pots filled with the previous year's tomato compost - so you might be better using the seived dug-out soil rather than fresh compost for those? I'm still very much trial and error with my veg growing though so other more knowledgable people might have better suggestions!

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Nikos, try not to overthink it. There’s no need for cardboard in your situation, as far as I can tell. Mr Dowding only used it for suppressing weeds, at ground level. I might add, there’s no real need to use timber. I like to use it because it gives a nice neat edge, it aids drainage and means I don’t have to bend down as much :) As long as the bed is higher that the surrounding ground, that’s fine :thumbsup: Incidentally, did you have grass in the area you’ve dug? If so, put it at the bottom of the trench, turned upside down.
      I’m just now putting together one of my raised beds, I’ll post a pic when it’s in place, if you like?

• Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Everyone seriously thanks for the help. It's been amazing

Mr Dowding was awesome. I've laid a sheet of cardboard anyway as I had some. It's 10inch deep to the top of the stone so I may build a small timber frame to make it neat tidy and to allow me to bring depth to 16inch.

I managed to sieve the earth I dug up and used it as a base layer on top of the cardboard. I've now layered that with multi purpose compost as it's all I could get just now. Once I build my box I fill further and managed to get top soil which I'll use to finish it off before seeding.

I'm maybe making mistakes somewhere but honestly just loving the trial and error element.

Here's a picture update.....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
      • Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        Looking good :thumbsup: Don’t worry about mistakes, we all make them. BTW, have you got your seed already? If not, you might want to get it ordered, as demand is heavy.

• Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Struggling to get seeds but my dad has some spare. Bit of a bummer that one but everyone in the same boat there.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        And seed potatoes, you can get some?

• Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Not looking likely for potatoes now.

Can I ask. I've out down a general multi purpose compost. Would you say it's better to mix this with some organic compost also before I start?

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        For carrots and beetroot, I wouldn’t have thought it necessary. I’m not quite sure what the term “organic compost” relates to, other than it means no chemicals have been added. Different types will have different ingredients. Do you plan to grow anything else?