New Vegetable Patch in Progress

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Nikos Koukos, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Also just to add....another image update with some landscaping I done today to tidy the area up....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I like the new timber border to the raised bed, on the slabs :)

FWIW I put a Plank on my row of carrots after sowing, to keep it moist underneath. Watering them, on my heavy soil, creates a crust which i think impedes germination. Important to get the plank off before the seeds germinate though :scratch: If my soil is dry I pull the "drill" with e.g. my finger, for the seeds, and then water along that drill (from watering can spout without a rose), leaving surrounding heaped-edge of soil dry, so that the soil under the carrot seed is properly watered, then sow seed then draw back the soil from either side to cover, then plank-on-top. I leave the drawn-up soil dry as otherwise its a right mess to cover the seeds :) but could sift some other dry soil/compost to cover the seeds.

If you have sown Carrots into pots? they will hate being transplanted. I would ditch them and sow carrots direct instead. Same for Parsnips (although loo rolls or tall newspaper pots can be used; you can do that for Carrots, but IMHO its way too much faff for each-individual-carrot ... for the number of Parsnips I grow, relative to Carrots, it would be more worthwhile)

For Beetroot having about 3 plants per 3" pot will work well - you can "twist" pull one from each clump-of-three as they develop leaving more space for the remaining two to fatten up ... and after you've had one from each trio-location then you can further harvest the twins to leave singles to get bigger until the last harvest round. Yum! I like cooked Beetroot (allowed to cool) diced with raw Kolh Rabi (also diced) in Greek Yogurt. Great colour, and my guests spend a while trying to figure out what is in the mix :)