1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Washing Machine Advice Please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NigelJ, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,474
    By the way, those two taglines in.my last post were actually used by the companies themselves for advertising. The Electrolux one was a proper howler to be honest

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Well that is a shock I didn’t know that @Fat Controller .! That’s a real shame, my experience with other Electrolux products has not been good.. My very firstvwashing machine was a hoover twin tub and the best.? Then I had a Hotpoint top loader for 19 years ant that was a fab machine and never one let me down... Sadly that was not the case when I went for a second.. Had so many repairs which is how I ended up with Zanussi and yes very reliable, but sad to hear not so now... :sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,474
      Hotpoint were a great company at one time, but they were then bought by an Italian giant company who had the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap, and hope they go fut at a couple of years old. Interestingly, they have quite recently been bought by the Whirlpool group, who are American, so given time there might be an improvement. Sadly for Whirlpool, they took over just as there was a massive recall on tumble dryers because they were catching fire, which was swiftly followed by one of their dryers causing a fire in a block of flats in Shepherd's Bush, and then Grenfell which was started by a Hotpoint fridge.

Somewhat coincidentally, Zanussi going into the Electrolux group also put them in Italian hands, and the philosophy was very similar.

Hoover, well they were HUGE as you know, and a lot of their appliances were built here in the UK. Some of their stuff was a bit hit and miss, but in the main they weren't bad. Then there was the 'free flights' scandal, and that utterly battered them both financially and in terms of reputation/consumer confidence. The brand simply sank here in the UK for a very long time. and as sales were relatively low, investment in product quality was equally low. That is all dark and distant history now, and a lot of people won't remember it - and looking at their strategy this year, it appears they are pulling their socks up.

Samsung are the curve ball for washing machines - they have been selling fridges in the UK for donkeys years, but washing machines are a fairly recent addition for them. In their home market, Samsung are nothing short of a behemoth - they make everything from electronics to massive ships and construction equipment. Whilst they are not necessarily at the very top end of the market, they are very careful to pitch themselves as a mid-range to premium range products, and they tend to stand by their products with 5 year warranties etc. Customer service is generally very good, and when they make a product that is a proper howler (Galaxy Note 7!) they admit it, and resolve it as quickly as possible. So, although they are not the most well known for washing machines, I would be comfortable buying one myself (if I couldn't get a Bosch to suit)

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I got this twin tub for Mrs H when we married. Very reliable. The only noise come from Mrs H on wash day.. :snorky:

b4e6908f9b59df7a7a56517cc5bff172.jpg

• Funny Funny x 8
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,249
          Bosch washing machine due for delivery next Monday. Thanks to all for the suggestions, advice and information, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 5
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Good god @HarryS you have stolen my late mother's enormous pails that she used to steep the sheets in:). She liked putting the sheets on the washing line when it was really cold so the sheets froze. She swore blind this treatment made the sheets whiter:noidea:. All I know is that I had to wrestle with the damn things getting them off the line when they were brick hard:rolleyespink: and no this was not when I lived in Scotland, so no smart remarks @Zigs about living close to the Arctic Circle:snorky:, this was in north west London!

• Funny Funny x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,474
              You'd be better off in the Arctic Circle than NW London :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Think you might be spot on @Fat Controller. My brother was down there a couple of weeks ago and could hardly believe his eyes at the state of the area we used to live in. Huge blocks of very middling, as my granny would have said flats where 1 big house had been in our day and the high street shops, best not to say what he said as it was definitely not PC:rolleyespink: Sorry @NigelJ I seemed to have taken your thread off subject. Hope your choice of a Bosch works out well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,858
                  You won’t be disappointed :smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,310
                    When I was a lad! It was an enamelled bucket put on the hob for boiling the linens. A very long handled wooden spoon was used to stir the linens (lemon added to the water) and bash them around, Everything else went into a metal bath for washing and the linens were added after boiling. Everything was then put through a hand operated mangle (by me :rolleyespink:). Each piece had to be put through three times. Then pinned on the washing line will home made clothes pins.

upload_2018-9-1_6-59-47.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                      Ratings:
                      +5,404
                      [​IMG] We had a posh wash tub in our scullery - one of these wonderful devices, and a washboard - which doubled up as a musical instrument !!
                      Funny ennit how they made us kids operate the mangle - I ended up with muscles like Olive Oyl.

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                        +17,487
                        Having checked out washing machines a few months back Samsung was top choice here. Technically excellent, quiet running, economical, aesthetically pleasing and competively priced (well, it was after some serious haggling in store) Came with a free 5 year warranty ....10 years on motor I think too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
                          Ratings:
                          +2,369
                          We went for Samsung a few years ago and it has been faultless. Its a lot quieter than our previous machine

• Like Like x 1
                          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            We've got some of those, they're made from Goat Willow wood and strips of baked bean cans.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Creative Creative x 1
                            • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                              Ratings:
                              +4,411
                              The machine we had longest was a Servis "top loader."
                              At the end of the guarantee, Servis sent out an engineer to inspect and service it and try to sell you a service contact.

I wasn't having that, but I asked him if he did "foreigners." He said, "No." I said "You must do!"
                              So for a couple of decades after he came out to fix any appliance I couldn't fix myself. We became friends and we still exchange Christmas cards, but he's long retired after having a stroke, but he is OK at the moment.

This machine, a Bosch varioperfect Serie 8 fits snuggly next to the fridge freezer in a corner of the kitchen. But you have to open the door if you need to pull out either of the drawers under the sink to the right of it!
                              If it's on, you have to wait for it to finish, to get a dishwasher tablet out of a drawer.

The build quality of appliances seems to be poor these days. we bought this in 2017 and it packed up after a week and Curry's had to replace it.
                              However this replacement is on at least twice a day and has been as good as gold.
                              The big Meile fridge/freezer next to it we bought last year packed up after two months and John Lewis had to replace it. This seems OK at the moment.

P1020256.JPG

It decides to use as much washing powder and fabric softner as the programme you have chosen requires.

My wife doesn't bother with that, she uses these "refillable eco eggs," that have little pellets inside, they are very economical and do a really good job. This is after decades of her only using Fairy products.

P1020251.JPG

From my point of view, this machine's biggest advantage is that it has a light inside, so after taking everything out of the tumble dryer you can go back and find the odd sock you didn't take out of it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019