1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie help - what to grow

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Jupes, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Jupes

Jupes Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Hello

I am very excited! I’ve bought an Aldi ‘special’ walk-in greenhouse. I’ve never had a greenhouse so I figured trying one of these would be a good way of seeing how much I enjoy and use it.

I always do hanging baskets so intend to grow on plants for these. At this stage, should I order plugs rather than seeds and what size plugs please? I’ve also bought the seed trays they have in at the moment.

I would also like to try tomatoes and wondered if you could advise what type(s) to try and what I do ie, grow bags, staking, feeding, etc please.

What else would you suggest I try to grow please?

Thanks for your help. I can’t wait to get started and imagine I will have enforced time home over the next few weeks to fill.

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    @Jupes I think we would need to know what size your greenhouse is before we can offer suggestions.

I mostly grow hot peppers- you call them chillies over there- in my little greenhouses. Also any plants that don't like the wind. I also use my greenhouse as a waiting area for seedlings before the last frost and their getting planted out in the garden. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Jupes

Jupes Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      Thank you. Below are the dimensions and a link to the greenhouse.

Built-up dimensions: 197 x 147 x 200cm (approx.), Door size: 82 x 157cm (approx.), Size vent window: 25 x 25cm (approx.), Shelves: 61 x 34cm (approx.)

Gardenline Large Walk-In Greenhouse

• Like Like x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616
        Aha, I had one like that years ago. It was fun. The beam at the peak is not strong enough for hanging pots but those shelves will give lots of room for pots. I put the bags of soil, sand and other heavy items on the lowest shelf because that gets the least sun and they act as weights to help secure the frame.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jupes

Jupes Gardener

Ratings:
          +16
          Great tip. Thank you.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,509
          It a good time to start sowing seeds like tomatoes ( they will need germinating on the windowsill first , then potting on into bigger pots , then into the greenhouse ) . If you're not confident yet buy some plug plants , garden centres have lots of young plants now .

• Like Like x 1