1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Various questions

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by cathymoon, Apr 29, 2016.

1. cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    So, I have learned that my soil is mostly clay. With some Ground Elder.:yikes:

So I'll be using containers for everything, at least this year.

The container that I have in large quantities (and can get a few more for free) is a white, plastic bucket, that measures 24 cm in diameter and 22 cm in height.
    Right now I have 3 of them with a strawberry plant in each and other 3 with 3 or 4 lettuces each (cut and come again).

I have a few leeks that I started from seed, and will also buy a few seedlings. I started the seeds a bit to late and still have another 5 weeks before I can transfer them.
    Can these buckets hold more than one leek? I was hoping to get 3 leeks per bucket.
    I have some bottles to cut up, to put around each leek, so I'll have more height for blanching.
    Also, our last frost date is around May 15th - 20th. When can I put the leek and pepper seedlings in my greenhouse? It's not heated, but it gets a lot of sun the entire day, so it gets quite warm.

I will be buying a couple of tomato plants soon, and intend to use a bucket for each of them. Or are this buckets to small?
    I can also stack to tires on top of each other, which will give about 35 cm in height and 30/50 cm in diameter.

And now on the soil.
    I have some mulch to put around the plants. If next year I mix it in the clay soil, together with some compost. Will it be enough for potatoes and leeks? Maybe even some broccoli.
    For next year I might also raise the soil another 5-10 cm with good soil that would go on top of the clay/mulch/compost mix. But that depends on how much it will cost in sales.
    Thank you.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I think at 24cm it would take only 1 leek per bucket

Leeks are hardy so can take frost, they will do better outdoors.

The peppers are tender so will need the protection of your greenhouse, once all risk of frost has gone.

24cm is a bit on the small side for cordon type varieties. It would be OK for a bush/hanging basket variety.

That would be better, at 50cm you'll be able to cram in three leeks.

Depends how much you have, potatoes are greedy feeders so the more the merrier. Leeks don't need so much as potatoes.

• Like Like x 1
    • cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      I was really hoping to be able to get more than one leek per bucket, mostly because I don't have much space. I'll start cleaning the tires, and hardening the leeks. I actually hadn't thought about the tires for the leeks, just for the tomatoes, but it will work too, thanks.

I actually was questioning if the mulch would add enough drainage to the clay soil. As for compost, I don't have much. If I can rebuild the one or neighbor tore apart, I might be able to get some free compost for next year. But for now, it's nearly all destroyed or filled with ground elder.