1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

next doors over hanging holly tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by intermiplants, Sep 9, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi next door has got some kind of large holly tree
    that has started to become a bit of a problem. the tree its about 7ft high but has started to over hang my fence by about 1ft and growing quickly. i have no problem with the tree its just the leaves are starting to drop off in to my garden and getting stuck in my dogs paws and the problem gets a lot worse over the coming months. before i approach next door does anyone know where i stand with cutting back over hanging trees

2. mackem

mackem Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can cut back any overhanging branches on your side of the fence,and then you have to offer them back to your neighbour as they are his/her property. [​IMG]

3. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I can second what Mackem said,

My neighbours fir's were overgrowing and dropping bits onto my patio (as well as cutting light out). You are legally entitled to cut back to fence, there is a bylaw that say's you have to offer their 'wood' back to them. Apparently this law goes back to when wood was greatly in use for fuel [​IMG]

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Mackem and Paula one this one.

It always handy to 'get on' with your neighbours as a little word to them would usually do the trick.... they might even come round and do the job for you. [​IMG]

If you don't 'get on' with them then that could be the start of alot of problems for yourself if you start cutting the plant hard back.

I'm sure even if they don't know you well or even 'get on' very well with you it doesn't hurt to ask/tell them that you are going to cut back the thing as it's causing your dog problems, at least they can't say you just did it with telling them first. :eek:
    Helen.xxx.

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks spoke to next door said its ok to chop them back . so thats me busy first thing in morn.
    tell you the truth i was going to chop them whatever the outcome .. but at least its nice to ask [​IMG]

6. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing your from manchester makes me wonder, wouldn't it be funny if 2 neighbours were on this forum and didn't realise. Imagine if you had just knocked on my door asking me about my holly? :D