1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NHS Text messages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by "M", Jan 20, 2016.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    New to me, the hospital now sends out text messages to remind you of appointments (as well as a letter). Two texts, from different numbers. One of the texts requested a return text, "Yes" to confirm attendance or "Cancel". Tried that, but the message failed. No big deal, I have iffy mobile coverage here anyway.

Today, I get two more texts (post appointment), asking me how likely it would be that I would recommend their department to friends and family!! :roflol: Well, seeing as it is another health professional who REFERS you to that department, I can't help thinking that it is a waste of time and money sending me that text: twice!
    How likely is it that a family member or friend says something to me about their health and I respond with: Oh you want to trot along to We-Are-Not-A-Drop-in-Centre Inc. I can thoroughly recommend them :thumbsup:

Anyway, that text also asked for a response and states the text will be free. However, when I went to send a reply, a provider message came up stating I would be charged for that text :th scifD36: And, if I don't want any further market research texts, I have the option to text STOP (also at my own cost).

Now, when I confirmed my personal details to the hospital receptionist, at no point did they say to me, by the way, we may take advantage of having this personal information and send you market research questions. So, no opportunity to "opt out" (or even "in" for that matter!). Its taken for granted it can be used.

Sorry for rambling, but, I'm feeling a bit miffed.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I thought recent changes in marketing related legislation meant it is now illegal to spam you without your cnsent.

I don't mean the opt in/out caper that's been around for ages, whichsurely should have been enough anyway, but new legislation very recently (unless its not actually law yet, might still be going through ) required that the 'subject' must opt in before receiving marketing calls.

I might have got that wrong though.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,946
        I don't give my moblie number to anyone for that same reason of getting unwanted texts, any way i thought the NHS was short of cash, why get text and letters

• Agree Agree x 2
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          I'd be happy with either. I waited patiently for months for my appointment to see if my heart was still there. Eventually, after more than a year, I had caused to visit my gp for some fairly trivial reason. I mentioned I'd been waiting over a year for my appointment. Gp looked on computer, apparently I was a 'did not attend'. I told the gp I would have attended, if only I'd been given some small clue as to when the appointment was. Gp was not at all surprised that I hadn't received the letter. Apparently it happens all the time. And then of course who is it that gets blamed for all the missed appointment costs? The patients. Even if whoever's job it is to ensure the letters get printed and sent failed to do their job.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,094
            I had an appointment which i canceled in good time yet i got a stroppy letter saying i was now off their list,clowns. :scratch:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
              Ratings:
              +7,491
              We have letters go missing. My friend just missed an appointment with his consultant. We got a call from the nurse asking where he was. Thankfully his consultant managed to squeeze him in a few days later. Sometimes he gets reminder texts and sometimes he doesn't. It all seems to be a bit hit and miss. :gaah:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                From elderly sick relatives I know all about those appointments where no letter is sent, and the ones the NHS cancel and don't send a letter, and the ones they cancel and don't tell either the patient nor the abulance transport who turn up and take them to non-existent appointments, and there's also the ones where the patient transport gets accidentally cancelled so the appointment is missed and some sick, elderly person is left sitting for hours at home in a wheelchair and all their carers visits have been cancelled because they're supposed to be elsewhere.

Must cost the NHS (AKA the taxpayers) fortune.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Sounds appalling @Scrungee :mad: - and puts my moan into perspective :redface:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  And I haven't even covered when they send them home without telling anybody - they say they left a message on an answerphone, but not ours, and with no care in place so taken back, or being incorrectley being informed they're being discharged by staff who don't know their own procedures, getting told different information depending who you speak to, NHS staff not liasing with one another and having to tell them what's supposed to be happening, staff going off sick just before rekatives supposed to be released discharged and the whole procedure starts again delaying it by a week, this is our experience of how the NHS works these days, and if the cost of a few texts could sort it out it would be a bargain, but I suspect it will take more than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Quite a lot more by the sounds of things!
                    And there, appears, to be the nub of it!
                    So, let me take a whole second to think on this: staff not liaising/sending text messages = :ideaIPB: Timed text reminders to STAFF (not patients) could lead to a more efficient and effective NHS service ;)
                    Suppose that is just too "common sense" for the bods behind the plush doors :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1