1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

No worms.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by hoofy, Sep 21, 2018.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    Well, every time I think about it, I giggle. I picture the shock in their beady little eyes when finding the front door blocked by my renovation efforts :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +227
      I ended up putting a layer of compost and a layer of bark mulch on the top. I couldn't be bothered digging the compost in but I weeded first. Probably a couple of inches of each, so around 4 inches in total. It looks good if nowt else.

• Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        A lump just the right size to plug a rodent hole ... Had it been bigger, it would have made a good door stop!

• Funny Funny x 1
        • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
          +227
          I've done the main bed and I have some compost and mulch left over so I'm looking at doing the smaller beds in the garden, but after a light dig over and weeding the soil is already high in the beds and I'm concerned if I put more material on the top it will end up spilling onto the paths. How should I deal with this? Should I remove some soil, or should I shore up the edges in some way?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +7,636
            Hi @hoofy, if you can manage any more digging it would be best to get some of the old, infertile soil out. We made a new big border this spring and first took the grass off and then dug away about spade deep of the rock-hard wormless clay and rubble. In went hundreds and hundreds of litres of manure and compost, and now the soil level is below grass level so that's easy to mow (I also sunk in plastic edging strip).

The fluffy, dug compost you have will go down naturally a bit. However, if the bed is surrounded by paths and not grass, you could buy some nice edging, like a mini-fence. Or build your own :)

Homebase basic edgings
            Primrose - a bit pricier

Our new border is now feeling very soft and fertile, and the worms are everywhere :) It was hard work to get rid of the clay and rubble though!

After the grass is out and the real digging about to start...:
            newborder May18.JPG

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1