Not sure if Colombine's will flower this year or next?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Shaneoak, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Armandii,

I think in anything you would get the odd one or two which would flower but I reckon the conditions would have to be perfect, also I bet that plant will be very weak this year if it even Survives the Winter.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
      Ratings:
      +76
      So, some do flower the same year from seed and some don't? You mean it depends on the variety of Colombine? I'm confused now lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi Shane,

Where abouts are you?

Di you not have a Poundland or Wilkinson's anywhere near you ?

• Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
        Ratings:
        +76
        I'm in Harrogate Anthony. Yes, wilko's is all over lol. Do they have bare root colombines?

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Our Wilkinsons have them in packs of two for around the £2 mark.

Have you ever seen a J Parkers catalogue ?

You can get their Spring Wholesale Catalogue now, which is also available for members of the public, by " Wholesale " they just mean" Bulk ".

They have seven varieties or a mixture available at prices from £4 for 10 or £35 for 100.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
          Ratings:
          +76
          Thanks for that info. I will have a look at the catalogue now. I'm on a budget, so have to be careful:thumbsup: So, you think there is likely to be alow success rate with seedlings of colombine, forget me nots etc if i plant this year?

• Like Like x 2
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,834
            Hi Shane, no need to get confused. Basically, it all comes down to when you sow the seeds. Traditionally, some seeds were sown in mid summmer, but it is not a hard and fast rule. Aquilegia if sown in Spring as I said will flower the same year. What instructions are on a packet of seeds are only recommendations. Take Sweetpeas as an example, some gardeners will sow in the Autumn and grow them on through to the next year when they will flower. Other gardeners will sow the same variety of Sweetpea in Spring.......and they will still flower in the same year!! So you will, by experience find that the once accepted traditional times of sowing are now disregarded as Gardeners have found that times and views have changed. The list of seeds of plants that I gave you will flower in the same year of sowing if you sow in Spring.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
              Ratings:
              +76
              Thanks Armandii. Okay, that's good. I don't have to fork out tons of cash (which i don't have anyway hehe!)Also, you get such a huge range with the seedlings. I will buy some this week and give it a go. Do most of them do better planted in a greenhouse in March or is it okay to plant directly into the soil outside?

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,834
                Do most of them do better planted in a greenhouse in March or is it okay to plant directly into the soil outside?
                [/B]
                Rule one!!!!!!!!!!! Patience, Shane, patience!!:heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5: Take a step back and think through what you will need/want. Secondly, don't rush to sow, any time in March is soon enough.:dunno:
                I use Wilko's seed trays with the clear plastic cover on the top to conserve moisture and warmth. I have a spare bedroom with I turn into a "warm room" when sowing in which I put up to 25 of the seed trays in after sowing but an unheated Green House will do.

I take it by "planted" you mean "sown"? It would be better to sow in, say, the seed trays I mentioned in a Green House.......do you have one?, if not a windowsill will do.

Before you buy, I subscribe to the Amateur Gardening Magazine and get around 30 to 40 free seed packets every year which I usually give away..........so at the moment I have quite a few. Let me list them tomorrow night for you and if you want any, or all, of them, I'll send them to you.:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
                  Ratings:
                  +76
                  Oh wow that's kind of you.Thank you. Well, you can Pm me if you like :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,834
                    Sorry, Anthony, but I beg to differ again.:dunno::snorky: All my Spring sown Aquilegias not only flower very well during the year but, because they've been growing in the borders for around 8 months, are well established and strong. One thing I do though, is dead head all my Aquilegia's [a] to keep them from spending energy making seeds and to keep them from hybridising. I've never lost Spring sown border plants in the Winter, except for the odd one or two. Don't forget that Aquilega's are completely hardy, the roots and "bulb" are rarely exposed in the soil during the Winter anway, so in fact in the Spring I often take out more because there's a crowd of them!!
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]
                    [​IMG]

All these are some of my Aquilegia's sown in the Spring over the years and I have never had a problem, if anything they've sometimes been a "nuisance":heehee: because they've been too successful.:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 4
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +117,290
                      When we had our thousands of Aquilegia (before they caught the incurable Aquilegia blight/mildew) we found that some flowered easily from Spring planting and others didn't. The main difference being soil condition. Although they prefer moist conditions they perform much better in well drained soil.

So if you have heavy clay, like we do, you need to condition the soil with plenty of compost and leaf mould. In sandy based soil, such as ARMANDII's, a rich surface over the sandy soil will be the ideal situation.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                        Ratings:
                        +6,543
                        We have a lot of them in our front garden but couldn't tell you whether any of the seedlings that are growing at the moment will flower this year as I just come out of my front door as the weather gets warmer and see that I have loads of them in flower of all different colours.The problem I have now is that they have been a victim of their own success and I am now having to get rid of a lot of them as they are slowly taking over my small front garden and when they die back in the winter I have to spend a lot of time pulling out the dead flower stems:sad:

I think a lot of whether they flower the same year as sowing will be down to soil conditions i.e. soil fertility,water in the soil,and also whether they are in a sunny aspect or in deep shade plus the further North you live the later the growing season can be,but not always:smile:

If you are on a limited budget then perhaps it would be cheaper to buy a couple of packets of seed of a mixed variety and sprinkle them around the borders and see what you get:smile:

I like Forget me Nots but mine also are taking over my small garden so I am having to get rid of them before they flower because if I let them flower and then seed the small dried seed heads stick to my gardening gloves and clothes and are a so and so to remove:sad:

Talking of Foxgloves(Digitalis)If you buy these plants in flower from a nursery (Usually cheaper than a garden centre)you will most often find that are flowering these plants will die and you will of wasted your money unless of course you manage to get seed off of them before they die then you will be able to sow them in the Autumn for flowering the next year.Oh and I believe the white (alba) Foxgloves are sterile as in non fertile seeeds:sad:

• Like Like x 2
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +117,290
                          Once you've got forget-me-nots you have them for life. There will be loads of dormant seeds already in the ground from previous years. Also, some of the are crafty little b's and set seed on some flowers that are hidden below others that are still in bloom or just opening.

The way to stop the seeds sticking to your gloves and clothes is to not wear anything whilst working with them. :ideaIPB: :rasp:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                            Ratings:
                            +6,543
                            I tried that @shiney but the seeds stuck themselves to my body hair:whistle::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2