1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Olive tree - brown leaf tips Help please

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Lillybell, May 9, 2019.

1. Lillybell

Lillybell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Good evening gardeners, I am hoping you may be able to offer me some advice with the care of my Olive tree please. I bought it as a small plant several years ago and had it planted into a raised bed. It’s grown to a good size but the leaf tips always turned brown, it also sheds a lot of leaves so I transferred it from the ground to a planter last year to see if it would improve. Over winter it’s had shelter against the house wall under a lean to roof, I have watered when completely dry and moved it into the sun when it’s been warmer. My garden is south facing and it is planted in fresh soil with compost and sharp sand mixed in. There are new shoots growing on the very top of the branches, does it need me to do anything more to help or should I just leave it alone to recover? Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.
    IMG_0469.JPG IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0471.JPG

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    Does it get salt winds?
    I just get the feeling its a drying out problem.

Not sure why you dug it up, it would have preferred being in the ground.:smile:

Think I would give it a bit of a trim, shortening those long leafless stems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Lillybell

Ratings:
      +14
      Hello @pete thank you for your speedy response. No it is not exposed to salty air, i am not that close to the sea front. The raised bed it was in was not terribly big so I thought that it was being restricted and would fair better in its own container (I have attached a photo of the bed, it was planted in the spot where the little Grecian pot is now) I can trim the branches back, if you think it would be better off in the ground I can plant it again. Thank you :smile:
      IMG_0472.JPG

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,725
      OK, yes I see, probably not the best spot, a more open position would be better.
      If not then continue with it in the container.

so I'd trim it back a bit and make sure it doesn't get dry, once in full growth in a month or two a feed with general fertiliser once a month till autumn would be good.

• Lillybell

Ratings:
      +14
      Thank you very much @pete I will take your advice and trim it back & keeping it watered. I use a Phostrogen feed on my plants would this be ok for the Olive too?

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,725
      Yes phostrogen would be ok.
      But I'd let it get moving a bit before you feed.
      Overfeeding is probably as bad as underfeeding in most cases.

• Like Like x 1
      • Lillybell

Ratings:
        +14
        Ok thank you @pete you’ve been a great help to me

• Friendly Friendly x 1