Olive Tree - Leaf tips gone brown and curling?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Gooseh, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Gooseh

Gooseh Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    Greetings all, I got an Olive Tree randomly included with an order of various other plants.

I haven't done anything to it other than watering it on Sunday night, to be fair it felt fairly wet anyway. Now the ends of a couple of the leaves have gone all brown and curled up a bit.

Having consulted the internets, one lot of stuff seems to say "NOT ENOUGH WATER" and the other camp says "TOO MUCH WATER"

can anyone help me out?? :E It's in a small square pot (the 'tree' is only about 10cm high) so I don't think it's a drainage issue

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I would go with the too much water, have you got it in a sheltered position, after the spell of dry weather we have all had it should not have felt wet. tip it out and check the drainage.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Oh it's still a baby!
    Most likely is too wet, as at this time of year it ought to be more or less dormant and in need of very little water. I keep mine (in a polytunnel during winter) just moist.
    If it's in a very small pot repotting would probably be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Gooseh

Gooseh Gardener

Ratings:
      +18
      Sorry, didn't make it clear - it's inside on the windowsill currently. Not entirely sure what to do with it. I have a grower frame thing with a mesh cover outside, but it's not entirely weatherproof (should have gone with the pvc!) so I wasn't sure if it was too cold outside whilst it's still so small?

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      If you have somewhere sheltered to put it, place it outside, but as frosts forecast still at night bring it in over night, think of where olives grow, hot dry countries, so not much water needed. My olive has stood outside for 4 years in all weathers, it`s in a large pot with little feet under so I am certain it drains well, they suffer more from over water than not enough.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      I would repot into a slightly larger clay pot with gritty compost then keep it cool and protected and hope for the best.

Sadly, I don't think you can de-brown and uncurl those leaves, but it may grow some new ones in the summer.

• Gooseh

Gooseh Gardener

Ratings:
      +18
      Thankyou guys, much appreciated