1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Online seed merchants

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by JimmyB, Dec 29, 2021.

1. JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
    Ratings:
    +602
    It's that time of year where I sort the old seeds, try to work out what might still be viable in the box, and buy some new. I've noticed though, that plant photography makes this all quite tricky. If I'm buying a plant I know, it's fairly straightforward. I find it, order it. Job done. But for anything I don't know the photos all tend to be close ups - which is absolutely secondary to what I want. I need to see the plant from 5 to 10 feet away generally. So I recognise that the sellers want to show their product in the best possible light. But it is often deeply misleading... Are there are retailers who do better on this than others? Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I also like to see a photo of the plant from a distance to get a good visual idea of it. I don't know any online retailers who supply this. For a full plant picture search for the plant name on Google and then press the Images button. You will get hundreds of images of the plant, but again most of these are close-ups.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,345
        Chiltern Seeds catalogue still has very few pictures (in the centre) and is mainly text.
        Thomson and Morgan used to be particularly bad for this, with their glossy colour catalogue. I stopped using them a couple of decades ago for that reason. may have changed these days.
        These days I read the description and for further information use the internet to find pictures.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
          +602
          Yes - I'm googling now: as you say - not always great results there either! It's just a question of time I suppose. This year I'd like to be a bit more organised about visiteing gardens and taking notes as I go...seeing the real thing would be the best answer for me but it does take patience and organisation neither of which come too naturally...

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
          +602
          I'm on Chiltern Seeds site right now and it was that which triggered my post! All those close ups - and absolutely no clue how big or expansive the flowers or plant really are other than '2 ft' for eg.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,345
          Probably the best way, some nurseries have a garden attached, but just wandering around a nursery gives you some idea.
          These days with cameras in phones you can take a picture of the plant from the distance you want and another of the name tag.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,076
          I spent my early years experimenting, often bought seeds on description alone, no internet back then.

The other thing is plant size can be variable, especially seed grown plants.
          Bedding plants tend to be more uniform in size and flower.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
          Ratings:
          +4,578
          Online companies will design their sites to sell goods. A design that gives a higher proportion of sales per pages viewed is what is important. The online sector is a fast growing sector, with so much competition out there at the the click of a mouse, to much information does and can lead to fewer sales.

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,524
            If you type in the plant name and then add rhs you may get more information. The rhs normally gives height, width and other info.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,509
              I copy the name and search on google images only takes about 5 seconds if that . Can't be doing with RHS size guide it is to vague.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1