Open plot or poly-tunnel?

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by BigBird, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Bigbird

Just had a look at your project thread and your pictures. Lots of potential there. I suggest you take the lean to down carefully and make use of amy materials elsewhere. Guarantee you will find a use for them at some time in the future. I do like to make use of materials that are virtually free.

The concrete pad would be ideal for siting a greenhouse and cold frames, maybe a storage shed if there is enough space. I would advise you to watch the sun and how it shones on your garden before you make any plans for what is going where. Check which direction your garden faces.

As for a polytunnel? Few things to bear in mind before you decide to buy one. I started a thread in the polytunnel section about choosing a tunnel. Might be worth a read before you do anything else. I see no point in putting a tunnel on a concrete base as you will lose all of the natural benefits of having soil to grow plants in. The tunnel is a very controlled environment and relies totally on you for everything it needs. Having no soil means that all the little bugs and bacteria that plants need is missing.

My tunnel is 30 X 14 feet, door at both ends and ventilation all down the exposed side. I have a wooden base rail which runs all round the tunnel. The main structure is secured by anchor plates that are buried into the soil. These plates sit on the bottom of each end of every hoop. Very strong they are too. All the strong winds we have had since I put the tunnel up, have not made the tunnel move at all. The trick is in how you site and erect the tunnel in the first place. Mine was not cheap, but it is very good quality and I am delighted with it. The tunnel does not offer much in the way of frost protection, it is usually a few degrees warmer inside, but when it is minus 12 C outside it will still be minus 10 inside. The tunnel does offer very good protection from wind and rain. In milder weather you notice the difference as soon as you step inside. Good ventilation is very important in the tunnel.

Hope I have been of some help here. Really like th elook of your project and hope it works out well for you. Good luck with it.

Chopper. :)

2. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Chopper! Thanks for your information. I will definitely be taking down the lean-to carefully & saving it for further use. :dbgrtmb:

I have had a look at your Poly-tunnel thread & it is excellent!! You are right about a poly-tunnel on concrete....not a good idea. I thought, at the time, it was a good idea for shelter for my crops & I would of grown in pots & bags etc. I do have a polycarbonate greenhouse (8 X 10) to put up & some coldframes too. I think this concrete pad would be the best place for them. I must admit this concrete pad is a lot bigger than I thought, once it was cleared!! I wish I had bought a bigger greenhouse now :DOH: Oh well, maybe I could buy another one & place them side by side?! Cheaper than a poly-tunnel too!!

I did find a company & I was looking at a 10 X 15 poly-tunnel with watering system, floor sheet, storm bars, hanging bars & extra thick tubing for strength & with side vents & slide door at each end. This would of cost about £800 with delivery. It was anchored down with base plates (for concrete). This company had great service for help with construction too. Maybe something to consider in the future.

Thank you so much for your help & I am really glad you like my project. :D I will keep adding updates to my project to keep everyone informed of my progress.

Bigbird:)

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BB,

Had a google for component parts to build a solar extractor, worked out about £80.

Then I found a ready made one for £40ish,

http://www.godfrey-diy.co.uk/show-product.html?sc=43193720&ref=fr

4. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Ziggy!!

Thank for that!!:dbgrtmb: I've decided not to have a poly-tunnel for the moment. I have looked at the advice given by yourself & others that building it on concrete probably isn't a good idea or practical especially for the nutrients that soil will give. But will definitely look at a poly-tunnel for the future. I will have a look at the area where the lean-to is at present & see if it would be practical to have one there, although it will be shadowed by the stone wall.......mmmm.... I will see what the site is like once I have taken lean-to down. Oooo I would love a poly-tunnel though!! But this solar extractor would be great for my greenhouse....Thanks again!:D

5. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Bigbird

No problem helping you, I am only passing on what I learned putting my tunnel together. I am a novice too, so I know how you feel about wanting to get stuff done.

Can I offer another bit of advice? You are very enthusiastic and want to crack on with things. Thats great and should be encouraged. Only thing I would say is that you need to stop and think about what you are doing. It is very easy to jump the gun, waste time and money on something that has no real value to your garden.

Make a plan and stick to the plan. You have plenty to do without buying anything like a polytunnel. I am very lucky that I have the space to have a big polytunnel. You may find that when you clear the lean to, that you do have space for one. On the other hand you may find that a tunnel could be unsuitable for the space you have. Things like stone walls are very unforgiving. I did a lot of research before I bought my tunnel.

Keep reading the threads and don't be shy about asking questions. I found the more experienced members are a veritable mine of information all based on past experience. Usually they are very helpful and I have found thier help and advice very useful.

Good luck

Chopper :)

6. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Chopper,

Thank you again for your advice & you are right! :) I need to slow down & think about what I am doing. I do have my original plan that I drew on a A4 sheet & I am going to stick to it.

I have been out in the garden today & cleared out the lean-to building ready to dismantle, but I think it will take more work than I thought. Some of the metal sheeting on the roof is really rusty & falling to bits & in some areas there are 3 layers of metal sheeting!! The soil is in a very poor condition with lots of stone & rubble in it. So this is going to take a lot of time to get ready for vegetables.

I will definitely be reading the threads & asking questions for advice.....thanks again :dbgrtmb:

Bigbird :Thanx:

7. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Bigbird

Sounds like you have a bit more work to do than you first thought. Sods law when you want to crack on and get the job done, something unforseen comes along and rains on your parade.

I would go careful removing the tin if it is badly corroded. That stuff does have sharp edges even when new. Perhaps some leather rigger gloves and a pair of goggles?

Good luck sorting it out mate. Hope it works out for you.

Regards

Chopper.

8. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Chopper

Thanks for your safety advice. Leather gloves & goggles at the ready!!...mmm....rather windy today. Sods law that when I have a day off the weather is bad!! Dare not risk it as I or it may take off :heehee:

Thank you & thanks for your luck too.....I'm going to need it!!:D

Best Regards

Bigbird :)