1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation 'Lawn' is in full swing!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Fat Controller, May 22, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,472
    You're more than welcome Charlie - I will take a second batch when I do the aerating with the blades, as I reckon that will knock the stuffing out of it even more.

I am wondering now if I need to get a fast germinating grass seed (if there is such a thing) as none of the seed I sowed came to anything. I bought the seed last year, so could it be cream-crackered?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,525
    Grass seed doesn't last as well as other seeds FC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,472
      Ah, that would explain it then @Sheal - a year old, and a winter in a cold shed has probably saw it off.

I will scatter the other two boxes I have over the lawns tomorrow, and if it comes it comes, if not I will look to getting some new seed. Is there any seed that germinates really quickly?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,525
      There is seed that germinates faster but there's only a few days in it and it tends not to be as tough as the other. For a few days gain it's not really worth the trouble.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,472
        Well, the watering regime seems to be working - the ground feels a bit softer now (I can get the sprinkler spike in without a fight), and barring a couple of bare patches there is signs of the grass greening up a bit today :yes:

As we had two more boxes of seed from last year, we scattered them liberally across the scarified areas today, and the sprinkler has been on all afternoon; the birds may get plenty as they are not covered, but to be honest any that germinate area a bonus (in fact, as I type I can see a wee blackie pecking away, so no doubt he will tell his mates :snork:)

• Like Like x 3
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,472
          @Sheal and other experts - I need your advice please.

Here are photos of my lawn taken this afternoon

2015-06-12 15.20.30.jpg

Is the new turf obvious? :biggrin:

2015-06-12 15.20.58.jpg
          This is a close up of the worst patch on the left hand side of the first picture.

2015-06-12 15.21.15.jpg
          I am of the mind that the main problem I have is that the ground is compacted, and therefore it is not really holding any water and there is no way that the roots of the grass can find their way through?

So, this is where I need a sanity check.

There is clearly still some thatch to come out, and there is also a need for aeration - so, I am thinking of giving the grass a trim on Sunday, and then getting the scarifier back out and loading up the blade cartridge as opposed to the tines, and then give it a good going over to try and get some more thatch up and get some air into the soil and relieve the compaction?

I bought a couple of boxes of this Westland Smart Grass Seed tonight, purely because Westland stuff has generally been good when I have used it in the past, not one single seed of the Sainsbury's own brand grass germinated (although in fairness, I bought it last year), and it was on sale at £7.50 a box.

So, questions:

- Should I scarify with the tines (probably on their lowest setting) first, or should I go straight to blades this time?

- The plan is to follow the blade work up with reseeding of the patchy areas (gently walking the seed in after sowing) with the new seed, then put up canes around the perimeter of the lawn and weave string between them zig-zagging across the lawn with string, and attaching pieces of foil to the string to deter our feathered friends

- Continue with the current watering regime which consists of a fan spray from the sled sprinkler that is showing in the first picture, which is slowly drawn from the back of the lawn to the front over a period of a few hours each evening (my thinking being that this mimics natural rainfall rather than the deluge that you get from some other sprinkler settings)

And hopefully, in 10-14 days I should have something that looks a bit better?

-

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,525
          I don't think scarifying again will make any difference @fat controller. Seeing the condition of it now I think it's to far gone on the worst patch and to be honest I'd dig up the whole lawn up and start again. However, you can cheat! Put grass seed down on all the brown patches and cover with a thin layer of mpc, enough to cover the seed, then walk over it to firm it down. This will help germination and keep the birds off. Water every day unless it rains of course. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,472
            The ground on the bare patches is literally like stone @Sheal; I am adding organic material as I go (which is helping in some places) but the water seems to be currently running off - - would using the scarifier in aerating 'mode' do harm then?

I think part of the problem is that it doesn't get a lot of peace between our dog and the local fox population.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,525
            If it's that compacted I don't think your scarifier will be enough. A garden fork would be better, going over it so that it looks like a colander, then brush some sharp sand or compost into the holes to help keep the soil open.

You could spend a lot of wasted time trying to put the lawn right FC and with the combination of compaction and bareness I don't think it's ever going to look great. I'd seriously consider hiring a rotovator and starting again, sorry! If you need to use the lawn then deal with one half at a time and there's always the option to turf of course. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,472
              Neither turf nor starting over is an option at the moment due to financial constraints - however, the fork and the sharp sand are possibilities - I am now wondering about doing a combination of the blades (for speed) a fork, sharp sand, reseeding and cover with MPC.

I am not looking for a bowling green - as long as it is all green and looks like a lawn(ish) then I will be happy.

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,525
                That sounds like a good plan to me! :) Give it a good soaking a couple of hours before starting and it'll make it easier to work with it.

• Like Like x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,472
                  Thanks @Sheal :)

I must admit that I felt a bit dejected today, but then I got a dose of the 'sturdies' as we call them in Scotland - - basically, my stubborn streak came out and I refused to be defeated..

Here's hoping I can make something of it....

• Like Like x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,525
                    I know what you mean @fat controller! When a fight becomes a battle it's not easy to give up on it. :) I don't see why the grass shouldn't take, it's surprising how it can force it's roots down through the toughest soil, it's how it performs once it's there that's the issue and covering it with compost or topsoil will give it a helping hand to get going. :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,626
                      @fat controller mine looked the exact same after I did mine. My soil is of poor quality too and is very compacted, my choice of action was to fork it at every 5"/6" and fill the holes with MPC, sharp sand and grass seed. Then throw some MPC and grass on top as a top dressing. Didn't make a massive difference overall but looked greener. Probably Abit late now but the ideal time to do it is late September /early October saves on the watering aspect. Now I don't bother with the lawn as much it's a losing battle, it's get cut at 40mm all year and fed 3 times a year. It's a full time job having a bowling green lawn and I'd rather spend my time on plants instead :)

• Like Like x 2
                      • Useful Useful x 1
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,472
                        OK - a wee bit of digging this morning regarding the new scarifier shows that I haven't scarified my grass at all, but merely given it a damn good raking, simply because I had the wrong drum in.

Apparently, the drum with the tines is to aerate the lawn, not scarify it - presumably the raking allows air to the bottom of the plants?

It appears that the blades work by going a wee bit deeper and hoiking out anything that hasn't got a decent grip, I suspect because it is dead?

• Like Like x 1