1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation 'Lawn' is in full swing!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Fat Controller, May 22, 2015.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    I reckon so! A new life for an old lawn, and it'll look even better when it's been mowed a couple of times. Also, with the new border lay out and the path gone it's softened the look of the garden, well done FC! :dbgrtmb:

What happens next? The patches on the other side? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      Yes, they are on the agenda for next weekend - as that side of the lawn isn't as bad, and the temps this week are forecast to be 30-plus, I reckon it is best to wait a bit and then do just the patches rather than scarify that side. Thereafter, the remaining seeds will be sprinkled in drifts around the middle part to try and blend the new turf with the old grass.

Finally, I have some of Westlands lawn thickener which appears to be a random mix of seed and a light fertiliser, so I can use that for any remaining wee patches

• Like Like x 1
      • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        Looking a great improvement there @fat controller - was thinking about you last night watching GW, reckon you could give that lawn chappy a few pointers ...

GG

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,612
          30C plus! I'd like half that up here! I don't think we're going to get any form of decent summer this year, maximum temperature seems to be no more than 18 and that's only on the odd occasion. :doh:

I wouldn't scarify that side now, it'll put to much strain on the grass in the heat. If you intend to do it at all I'd wait until early autumn. I wouldn't use the Westlands Lawn Thickener on the large side you've just completed unless you've already used it there but I don't see a problem patching the other side with it.....meaning the right side looking towards the back fence. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,622
            The forecast is for 32º on Wednesday, and then to hover around 30º thereafter; to be honest anything over 24º is absolutely wasted on me, as I just overheat.

I was only going to use the thickener for the old grass, not the new to be honest, so that will be mostly the right side as you say. I must admit to being quietly chuffed though - the grass and ground feels so much softer and springier underfoot, and it looks so much better than it did; I didn't think I had it in me.

• Like Like x 1
            • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,626
              Looking great @fat controller just a quick trip up the M1 to do mine now. :dbgrtmb:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,612
                You should be chuffed FC, you've done all you can to revive it and it was worth the effort. :)

Followed by the M6 and a ferry for a 'Busman's holiday' (excuse the pun) here on the island. My lawns need some work on them too. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Spider!

Spider! Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5
                  FC I've just read this whole thread with great interest as I am obsessed with my lawns and am going through the same process as you.

The turnaround you have achieved is excellent!!! Very well done, lots of hard physical work but worth it eventually when you have a beautiful lawn to enjoy!

I read you asking if there is a quick-germinating seed out there - well too late for you now but yes there is - I buy from Pitchcare their seeds which have been treated with 'Headstart', which I have found germinates soon after a week in the right conditions.

My process is very similar to yours except having last year also failed to keep our feathered friends away with hanging CDs etc, this year I have had much success after scarifying and raking and aerating, I have sewn the seeds (over seeded) then rolled the mower over with a heavy roller to push them down, then the piece de resistance is to drag lawn dressing over the lawn. The birds didn't seem to know there was seed under it. And now that section of lawn is so lush from the dressing I believe, I am absolutely blown away.

Due to other things going on I am weeks behind schedule attacking the other lawn, and having read that I shouldn't rake/sew seed now, my same attitude as yours makes me want to succeed (excuse the unintended pun). Today I have been raking the lawn so my shoulder is now in bits but I must push on. Tomorrow I will finish raking (I am definitely going to buy am electric scarifyer like yours), then mow to collect the last of the thatch, (maybe a quick aerate if time as I know it is important) then overseed and top dress to finish. Then I need to water for the next couple of weeks - the easy bit!

I may post a couple of photos. Anyway, good to see I am not alone in my quest for the perfect lawn! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Top job FC:love30::dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Zola

Zola Gardener

Ratings:
                      +46
                      Hows it looking at the moment FC?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,622
                      At the moment, it is too long! I am back at work, and when I have had time off it has been p-p-p-p-persisting down with rain, hence the lawn is in dire need of a mowing. Otherwise, it is pretty good - definitely worth the effort.

• Like Like x 2