1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Pootle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pootle

Pootle Gardener

Ratings:
    +94
    The neighbours have asked me to prune/cut down a large tree at the end of my garden. Doing so will involve a lot of work in clearing around it and will no doubt cost a lot to do. Honest opinions welcomed.

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Depends on whether you like the tree and how friendly you want to be with the neighbours, etc.

Are they mainly concerned with the branches which overhang their garden? If so then they are within their rights to cut down any branches which overhang.

If it bothers them that much then maybe they would be willing to share the expense? :)

3. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Or, help with the job?

4. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I`ve cutted down 2 massive conifer in my garden , it was yes hard , but I just borrowed an electric chainsaw from a friend and called a local rubbish collector that charged me £50 , that is if you can do it yourself.

Call a local gardner and ask for a free quote , it`s alway advanceable keep the neighbours happy , if they do deserve.

• Like Like x 2
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Can we see some photos of the tree of the tree?

Also, do you know what the neighbour is worried about? Is your tree blocking their light? Might it fall on their heads? Are deranged squirrels hiding in it and throwing nuts at them when they come out?

I think the action you take (if any) must depend on the problem you are trying to solve.

• Like Like x 1
      • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,073
        A couple of points:

What sort of tree is it? - If you hard prune most conifers they will not re-grow. If its a fruit tree, pruning will effect its productivity.

Are you in a conservation area or similar? if so you may require planning permission to hard prune or cut the tree down.

a-a

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I have a tree sized Lilac "Madame Lemoine" which overhangs my neighbours fence but she doesn't mind and in fact she will take some to the overhanging blossom for indoor decoration.
          I guess it's as people are saying, how you prune it depends on the type of tree and whether or not it would, being a large Conifer, be better to fell it.:dunno::snork:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          :hate-shocked:I was brought up it was unlucky to bring Lilac into the house. Of course that is complete tosh ... but I don't want to temp fate :heehee:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          So you're superstitious about being superstitious then, Kristen?!!:scratch::dunno::heehee:

• Pootle

Pootle Gardener

Ratings:
          +94
          It's a big sycamore and it's the light they are concerned about. I'm a bit miffed as while my kids have been young they have sometimes had to sleep in downstairs room due to parties at the neighbours so don't feel they have shown us much consideration, but as they say two wrongs ...

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Next door to me, and overhanging my garden, is a massive sycamore. It casts a lot of shade and does limit what I can do in my garden, so I can see your neighbour's point of view. However I've learned to live with my neighbour's one. I've trimmed off some of the branches that overhang my side and improved the soil along the border, and most stuff grows there just fine now.

I made enquiries a while ago about getting a tree surgeon in. I reckon it would have cost about £400-500 for a 'crown reduction'. If it had come down to that, I would have offered to pay half the bill.

• Like Like x 1
          • Pootle

Pootle Gardener

Ratings:
            +94
            Thanks for the info. Think they will offer to pay some or possibly all of it, but if the crown was reduced I guess it will grow back so it will need doing again in a couple of years. It's too big to do ourselves and one of the neighbours has an expensive greenhouse not too far away so it will have to be people with proper insurance.

• Salamander

Salamander Gardener

Ratings:
            +26
            If you are happy with it being pruned/removed and they are happy to pay, then go for it. If you are at all unhappy and all that they want to do it moan and not cough up then I would be inclined to keep it. I used to love playing with Sycamore seeds as a kid but they self seed madly!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            You'd need to ask a tree surgeon, when they come to quote, but I would expect a crown reduction to take 10 years to grow back to where it is now (assuming the tree is of a "significant" size). Quite a lot of trees slow down their growth rate as they get older, which will also help reduce the frequency that it needs doing, over time.

• Like Like x 1
            • Pootle

Pootle Gardener

Ratings:
              +94
              That sounds good. The tree is currently about 1.5 times the height of the house so it is big, but we all have long gardens so it's a long way from any house.