1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor Christmas tree problem

Discussion in 'Trees' started by CrazyDaisy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. CrazyDaisy

CrazyDaisy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

I have an outdoor christmas tree approx 2 feet high and the needles at the edges of the tree are turning brown and drooping! Any ideas??:help:

2. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the tree in a pot? do you water it? how often? Is it outside?

3. CrazyDaisy

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is in a pot, outside and every couple of days, if it's not been raining!!

4. Pippa

Pippa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 and both in pots CD but the only brown bits were down to me having them too close to the wall and a wee bit of wind damage.I had to cut them out as i am not sure but think once they turn brown that is all we can do.Mine are doing really well at the moment and my better half moved them away from the wall and gives them a half turn each week.Mine are around 4 ft now.I hope you find a solution.I am going to look through my gardening books and if i find anything that may help you i shall come back :cnfs::)

5. CrazyDaisy

Ratings:
    +0
    I know i've done that with conifers in the past, but i didnt think this would be the same with them being a christmas tree variety. thanks though, it may help!!

6. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It might be worth taking the pot off to look at the roots, its possible a vine weevil has been eating the roots causing the tree to die back.

7. Pippa

Pippa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yip WT, that is what i have been reading outside of frost damage.

Red Spider Mites can cause premature defoliation. :cnfs:

As i have only had my trees 7 months CD i am not sure about cutting out.I left one bit to see, and it grew new shoots on the end but the brown bit behind them remained that way.

They don't like alkaline soil and prefer sheltered positions.