1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwintering Container Plants.

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Bluebell, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Bluebell

Bluebell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I've only just discovered this forum in my desperate hunt to discover how I can overwinter hanging basket and other container plants e.g. Million Bells, Nepeta (sp?) etc.

I've only got a tiny garden but I've bought one of those small staged-and-plastic-covered-�£20- mini-greenhouse-thingies which I shall endeavour to keep frost-free.

If anyone has any simple tips on taking cuttings of Impatiens, fuchsias and geraniums, these suggestions would also be gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Bluebell [​IMG] :confused:

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi Bluebell you can never guarantee this plants you listed, will survive winter in that greenhouse. Geraniums and Fuchsia usually do, but cut them back hard and maybe cover them with some type of fleece. not plastic, if we have a severe winter...a lot depends where you live too.. and is it south facing ? Busy lizzy are a bit more sensitive and best bring in house, they can then still flower in winter with a bit of warmth. Look for seed pods now and sow them in about end Feb / March.
    Good luck !

Ladybird

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little plastic greenhouse and found that my main problem was mildew etc. because it's hard to keep the plants damp enough in a confined space. But don't forget to water! I found that geraniums and fuschia are better kept somewhere dry but frost free, then put them in your greenhouse in March to get them going more quickly. My neighbour and I take cuttings of Busy Lizzies and grow them indoors overwinter, as backup for the main plants. I have always 'unpacked' the hanging baskets to avoid rot and conserve space- I expect you were going to anyway.