1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Passiflora incarnata?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by IceColdRum, May 3, 2016.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Another update.

The plant has reached heights of over 3 meters. And even with temperatures near zero degrees Celsius it didn't lose a single leaf.
    One of the flowers actually turned into a passion fruit. I let it sit for weeks and weeks. It is supposed to turn yellow but I figured that won't be happening anymore. So I couldn't resist and picked it today.

IMG_20211117_152335.jpg

It looks round and felt like hard leather. No nibbles or dents. But it felt rather light for its size.

IMG_20211117_152401.jpg

Inside are lots of pits surrounded by fleshy white pulp. But besides the freshly cut edge, no juice was leaking. Not unlike a pomegranate or a carefully peeled orange.

IMG_20211117_152528.jpg

I guess lots of pits didn't get pollinated. There was a lot of room left with small withered pits. But since the year was a particularly bad one for bees (too wet and cold) and it was the year I planted it, this will probably change for the better.

By the way, it tasted fresh and sweet/sour. But since there are small seeds inside every pocket, I would mostly compare it to currants.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Black Dog

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      Yet another update.

It's February and the vines have all shriveled up. Guess it was mostly due to a few days of frost in December. Up until then the plant was still green and fresh even though all other plants had already shed their leaves.

I decided to watch it as it seemed fine even after the frost. But it slowly started to dry up and loose the leaves - kind of like runner beans. So I cut both plants back to ground level last week.

No pictures today, but I sure hope they will grow back in the upcoming spring. And hopefully bigger and better than last year (which was mostly wet and cold).

Until the next update

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        I was under the impression that P. Incarnata is herbaceous so not surprised it has died right back.

The problem I found with growing it was that the summer here was never long enough or hot enough for it to grow and flower in one season.

It kind of got weaker each year until fading away, but you may get more heat where you are.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Black Dog

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          It seems that my passiflora finally have decided to wake up from their slumber. I was already fearing the worst after what Pete said, but they seem to grow back faster and stronger than last year. It was an exceptionally mild winter, so that definitely helped.

They are now producing 8-9 vines per plant with more popping up every other day. And whats kind of funny - they moved from the spot where i originally planted them by about 20-30 cm. Enough to make me worry after i couldnt find any new buds. But i was surprised to see them poking out right through my strawberries that grow around them.

• Like Like x 2