1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Patio Rose problems

Discussion in 'Roses' started by weas3l, May 21, 2016.

1. weas3l

weas3l Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I've been having a problem with my patio rose for years. It behaves very strangely where leaves will shoot, it will then flower and then as the flowers start to die off it drops it leaves and the whole cycle begins again (new leaves, flowers, flowers die off, leaves drop).

I feed it regularly in the summer with Richard Jackson's Flower Power and last year had a brilliant display of roses but it did not stop it from doing the weird behaviour I described above.

I would appreciate any advice you could give as it's driving me demented. It's actually started dropping leaves whilst in flower at the moment.

Thanks.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,614
    I'm wondering whether the fertiliser you are using @weas3l isn't suitable for roses. Your rose could possibly be putting all it's energy into producing flowers which is why it drops it's leaves. Try sprinkling blood, fish and bone around it and watering it in. I also use chicken manure pellets around my roses that are planted in the garden as an alternative. If your rose is in a pot be careful not to over feed it with the pellets should you opt for those. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,901
      Good morning @weas3l for some patio Roses this can be normal behaviour,may I ask the name of the Rose,what size pot is it in and how often do you change the the compost John Innes no 3 is the best ,it is probably stressed if we can find out what is causing this we are half way to finding the answer,,enjoy your day my friend:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • weas3l

weas3l Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Hi @wiseowl, I can't remember the name of the rose, I bought it from eBay some years ago. The pot the plant is in currently is a very large pot. I have never changed the compost as it would be a huge undertaking, I just used to feed it every now and then with a bog standard fertiliser. Last year I used Richard Jackson Flower Power on it and got fantastic results with more flowers than ever before. This year I have been feeding it every two weeks with Richard Jackson Flower Power to get it ready for the summer but it's doing the whole leaf shedding thing. I have sprayed it with a combined fungal and insect spray especially for roses in case it was getting attacked by something but it doesn't seem to have stopped the leaves from shedding. I didn't really notice it before until my mother pointed it out to me and thought it was strange. I don't overwater it (probably twice a week at the most including when I feed it) I will take a picture of the rose and upload it over the weekend so you can see for yourself.

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,901

Good morning @weas3l with respect why would it be a huge undertaking ,and you are over feeding your Rose my friend;)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Oakapple

Oakapple Gardener

Tea and biscuit carrier
          Ratings:
          +247
          Wiseowl, your information on this forum about roses is remarkable, I have made notes! You also show so much patience and a friendly approach to newer site members, which is lovely.
          Armandii also did the same and was much appreciated.:yay:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,901
            Good morning @Oakapple my friend and thank you that is very kind and friendly of you to say that and its very much appreciated:smile: Yes ARMANDII loved his Roses and indeed was a lovely man it was an honour to have known him:smile: