1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pea & Bean Netting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Dopey, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
  2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    If beans (Runners / Climbing French) I prefer canes. Untangling the Beans from the Netting at the end of the season is a nightmare. (I'm not a throw-away sort of person, but if you are planning to chuck it at the end of the season then I guess its fine).

For Peas I use pea sticks (bits of hedge cutting etc. that are fairly branch-y / bushy (and have no leaves). I've used long stems from Cornus (Dogwood) in the past (grown for its strongly coloured stems, in the Winter, but needs to be cut hard back in February or so) and most of them have rooted by the end of the Pea season - Bonus!

3. Dopey

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    Where I live, its impossible to get bean poles and pea sticks, it would be great to get them, I was reading you can keep using them for about 3 or 4 years, and tbh they do look a lot better, I live near Heathrow, not a lot of wooded aria or coppice around unfortunately

4. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    I would have thought that that would work fine - its the same as I use for the climbing beans up the back fence.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I bought a bundle of Bamboos on eBay a number of years ago. Provided you bring them in for the winter they should last more than 4 years ...

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    When my Dad came back from his tour of duty in palestine he cadged a ride from some RAF boys. They landed in a field with just a wooden shed as a control tower, he had to ask where they had landed. "Its called Heathrow Mate" was the reply.

7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    That looks like crop protection mesh, rather than the stuff with a much wider mesh normally used for growing peas and beans up, and could end up as a hopeless tangle of stems, leaves & pods.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I would think that 4" squares was the size for Pea and Bean netting? But I don't use it myself so could be way off.

9. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Nor do I use it - I grow Hazel & Birch coppice, use Rylock or a bit of both, so I had to check the size of Wilkos stuff (and saw they had a £5 off £50 online deal so posted that before coming back here).

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/garden-accessories clothing/wilko-get-gardening-pea bean-netting-6mx17m/invt/0299119/?htxt=PsAGyAqy/DSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG/xTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB tDs76aYYKg==

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    150 mm mesh = 6"

Beans would get up to the next "rung", not sure peas would though ?

11. Dopey

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    Ok so bigger then, thanks

12. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Small twigs pushed into the ground at the base of mesh will help the plants on their way up.

13. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Dopey, having recently seen your allotment site on Google maps, you could take some secateurs and easily collect all the pea sticks you could possibly want from it's perimeter.

Steve...:)

14. Dopey

LGV Films
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yea im going to have a good look around later 2day and see what I can find, there is probably stuff right under my nose and I haven't realised I could use it, I am also going to try and get some cargo nets, there big and they use them for freight to hold all the boxes together, its thick stuff and will last about 10 year, so I will see about that also

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Factor in the effort of removing the plants' vines at the end of the season. "Pea sticks" you can just pile up to rot, or burn them for the ash.