Peach trees: perigrine or avalon pride?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jannt86, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Jannt86

Jannt86 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I live in the midlands. I'm going to get a patio peach tree to keep most of the time in a greenhouse. I like the idea of avalon pride as it's very leaf curl resistant. However I know perigrine is much loved for its flavour. Has anyone tried either/both that can offer any insight to help me decide. Thanks :-)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    I used to have Peregrine, it cropped well for years but once leaf curl started it got it every year after that, no matter what I tried.
    Still got a neglected tree on the allotment.
    The fruit was always very soft when ripe, you had to catch it just right, one day unripe, next day ripe, next day soft and starting to rot.

Tasted nice and literally melted in your mouth.

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,962
    I've grown both. Peregrine is unrivalled for flavour but disease-prone. It should be OK if kept under cover. Avalon Pride was certainly resistant to PLC but I never got to taste the fruit as the tree died (drowned) before fruiting.

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    I had to make that decision last year. It was really hard comparing them and the winner was.... None of them

In the end we went with a Mirabelle Plum ("Nancy") because it is a lot friendlier to eat and blooms nicer (at least in my opinion)

• Informative Informative x 1