1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mike77, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I've started off some peas (Victorian colossal) indoors and am a bit confused as to when I can plant them out. Im in Edinburgh so still expect some cold weather. How hardy are peas? Can they take a bit of frost?

Cheers
    Mike

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,346
    I've some Early Onward sown in a tray in the greenhouse, germinating nicely. When they reach a couple of inches high I'll harden them off for a few days (put them out in the daytime and bring them in at night etc) and then plant them out. Will start off some Kelvedon Wonder this weekend as well. Peas are pretty hardy and when hardened off a bit of frost won't harm. Main reason I do it like this is to avoid molluscs and especially the pigeons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      Ok cool, that's what I thought. Mine are between 3 and 4 inches and growing fast. I'll start hardening them off and get them planted out fairly soon.

Cheers
      Mike

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Once hardened off Pea seedlings can cope with a fair amount of frost, However the flowers can't. Bit like say Apple trees are hardy but their blossom will be ruined by frosts.
      I grow my 1st sowing in large pots in my greenhouse (mine are about 2 inches tall atm) and then start sowing outside in May as I live in Fife and don't find Peas grown outside do that well if planted out in say April but then it all depends on that damned thing called weather and this year Spring would appear not to be happening:rolleyespink:.

• Like Like x 1
      • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
        +172
        Im in Edinburgh so probably have similar weather conditions to you in fife. Think I planted everything a little late last year so had some mixed results. This year I've maybe started a little early. I'll probably do another batch of peas in a few weeks.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        I mainly grow Mange Tout and will sow batches for outside growing up until about the middle of July. If I have room, usually don't! I have sown later to grow in the greenhouse during the Autumn. Yes @Mike77 I used to live in Edinburgh so know what the weather is like there. I live quite high up in the hills so will be a bit more exposed than where you are unless you live near Hillend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Another reason for starting off peas indoors is mice. Mice are a big problem for peas. :sad:
          I sow peas indoors...already done....to plant out when they are a couple of inches high and mice then no longer attack them.
          Although peas are tough they will take better in the garden when the soil is a little warmer.....cold, wet soil is not good so waiting a few more days can make a big difference

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I've got Early Onward in 24x size cell tray modules (cut into blocks of 6 cells) germinating in my heated greenhouse. I've got them in heated propagators and they'll come of it as soon as they start sprouting (cutting into smaller sections helps with this) then go into a polytunnel.

I might end up growing this first batch in a polytunnel if my plot doesn't dry up because I'll be dunking them into holes full of water and they'll just sit in soggy wet clay soil, failing to grow and turning a sickly pale colour.