1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pelargonium Cuttings

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by ricky101, Dec 27, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

Any tips on successful taking of these cuttings this month ?

Some say leave the cuttings a day or two to let the cut callus over ?

Some suggest rooting power, some nothing, some Honey ??

Also whats the best heat to use, we have an dryish area at 15c min, or can use a full sized seed tray propagator set to say 21c, but wonder with a tall clear cover on it could get too humid which seems they are a bit prone to ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      its far to early for cuttings I take mine late March just as they come back into growth ... Perlite and sand 50 / 50 mix , around the edge of a clay pot kept in the shade, with a little bottom heat from my propagators lid kept off to keep the leaves dryish , 4 weeks later when rooted all go in single 9cm pots (multipurpose compost)

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,206
        Thanks, but we have a few plants that are still in flower in the greenhouse and they need cutting back as they are way too big for their pots, so thought we might at least try rooting some of the good looking growths we cut off.

Just worth a try, though as you say, probably more readily take come March.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        I struggle to get them to root with the low light levels this time of year, but I find if you let the cut callous over for a day at room temperature and then just root in shallow water in a jar at room temperature.
        But I do find some types root easier than others.

I do brugs and Erythrina the same way, works with some things not others.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Possibly two popular plants are Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. They will tolerate some harsh treatmens at times, and perhaps for the average gardener, they are easy to propagate. Although cuttings can be taken at almost any time year, there are snags. The prosective plant material may be too new, or the sap is going down. Then of course light levels and heating.

June, July and August are my favoured times. By this time the sap with all it's nutrients is very high and call it what you like, the natural urge to grow is at it's all time high. Growth is in healthy plants, good and strong. I have taken chances and struck cutting at most times of the year. The best, proved period being June-August.

Keeping to Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. Striking cuttings later than mid -late August, and the new plants must be grown on throughout the darker colder months. These periods can also be troublesome due to damping off, black leg and other growth afflictions.

Most gardeners know about how to take cuttings, cut below a leaf joint/nod etc. Allow an hour or two before dipping in a tooting hormone, if using such. This allows for the cut to callous. With Fuchsia cuttings, the cut can be made anywhere, even a cutting can be split down and it will still work. Some folk will pot each cutting (Pelargonium) seperately, others prefer to insert four or five around a pot, close to the edge. Settle in with a light spray and leave until rooted, then pot on. Don't cover the pots as this will cause condensation, leading to damping off.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020