1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pennisetum Setaceum Fireworks Grass

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Paul1981, May 14, 2020.

1. Paul1981

Paul1981 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We recently recieved grasses supposed to be Pennisetum Setaceum Fireworks. We were expecting them to have red leaves, however these are lush green only; please see photo taken 14/05/20. The seller has assured us the red will develop, but we have had them a month and still nothing. Does anyone have experience of Fireworks grass? Is there anything we are doing wrong, or have we been sold the wrong grass?

Attached Files:

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    I was under the impression the fireworks bit was a reference to the flower stalk?

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,345
  4. Paul1981

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. The link you sent @NigelJ was exactly what we were expecting. I've attached a screenshot of a plant of what seems a similar size to ours, and they look very little like each other.
    Ours have been in sunshine whenever possible for the last month, and well watered. You think it's a situation of just sit and wait?

Attached Files:

5. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,345
    @Paul1981 I would have expected some colouration to be apparent by now. The screenshot is more upright than your picture shows, your plants appear to be growing fairly flat. I would get back onto your supplier and send them the best quality photos you can of the grass you have.

6. Paul1981

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks @NigelJ. I'll keep you updated!

7. Kelly Wamsler

Kelly Wamsler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    @NigelJ Hi I am new to the forum and I just bought Pennisetum Setacum Firework grass it looked fine when I got home and two days later to looks kind of dried up and dead . the plant looks yellowed and I am guess root rot. Do you have any experience with these grasses. I have Ruhbrum and other grasses and they are doing just fine but the fireworks look dreadful Hope you can help TIA

8. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,345
    @Kelly Wamsler
    If it's been such a short time I'd take it back and get a replacement or money back.