1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peony advice, please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by "M", Jun 24, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi SG, it's actually a myth that's older than the Internet!! It goes back to the days of Head Gardeners of the huge ornamental and vegetable/fruit gardens of the Old Big House Estates in the 18th Century. My ancestors worked for such a House as Head Gardeners, assistant Gardeners, Estate Managers, and House Servants, which is known as Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. The Head Gardeners were "King" and even the Masters of the House would rarely question them on how the estates were run. So I remember one of my Grandfathers, with a twinkle in his eye, relating a story to my Dad about how, if a Head Gardener didn't want to move certain plants in his domain when asked by the Master, the Head Gardener would inform inform the Master, "Aye, Sir, I'll move it if you want, but it might die, or do nothing for several years.....but if that's what you want...!!" and my Granddad always thought that Peonies came into the category:whistle::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Interesting story @ARMANDII .A friend and I visited Chatsworth last year. Neither of us liked the house much as we thought it was decidedly OTT including the gold leaf on the windows which we thought looked tacky. Parts of the garden were lovely as were the water features. I wonder if your ancestors were at Chatsworth when the then biggest greenhouse in the world was still standing. it was built by Joseph Paxton who went on to build the Crystal Palace. All that's left of the huge greenhouse which was blown up after the 1st world war I think are the dwarf walls which give you a good idea of how big it was...huge!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,028
        I've just been catching up on this thread and its really helped me too.....

I've just purchased....

Celebrity
        Sarah Bernhardt
        Karl Rosenfield

And was just about to go onto the internetthingy to find out the best place to plant... why do we need the internetthingy when we get so many great tips on GC.... just fabulous :wub2:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Yes, Silu, they were!! They were working on the estate for several centuries from the beginning to just after WWII when most of the Big Houses started to fail. They mostly lived in the Estate Village of Endsor
          [​IMG]
          and where a lot of them now rest in the church cemetery at the back of the Church. Several of them had enough status and important jobs to earn the privilege of living in the "Russian Cottage"
          upload_2016-3-22_23-40-51.jpeg
          which was a present from the Czar of Russia.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Those are first class choices, Apple Blossom:thumbsup::snorky: Choosing plants is a personal thing and depends on taste in varieties but you might like
            "Bowl of Beauty"
            [​IMG]

and "Shirley Temple"
            [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
            • silu

Ratings:
              +8,083
              Wow @ARMANDII how interesting. Chatsworth certainly showed how the other half lived! I couldn't get over the bally hoo about keeping the greenhouse warm enough to grow the likes Pineapples and the huge amount of coal needed to do so. 1 of the Dukes of Devonshore didn't like seeing a band of workers barrowing coal from where it was stored over to the greenhouse so got a tunnel built...sorted but at what cost???? Evidently the demise of the massive greenhouse was due to the 1st World War as it was deemed the coal was needed for more important things, rightly. All the exotic palms etc died and the greenhouse fell into disrepair . I'm not sure even the likes of the Sheiks or Russian olegarts could afford to build anything similar today and be able to man it...mind you! I think the guide told us there were 15 full time gardeners for the greenhouse alone, not counting the gardeners for the rest of the huge gardens. Mind blowing stuff.

• Like Like x 1
              • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                +3,028
                Your getting as bad as Woo.... :lunapic 130165696578242 5: !!

Just love the Shirley Temple... it will go with my Rose :heehee:

Saying that and all aside... I did purchase them to go into where I was working but having read this thread I don't think its the best place for them so I will be planting them tomorrow in what 'was' my veggie plot! which is coming along nicely after a big dig over and lots and lots of planting :spinning:

• Like Like x 2
                  Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,092
                  I couldn't agree more:spinning:

• Like Like x 2
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    It certainly is. The Dukes of Devonshire were mostly a kindly lot and when a male worker, who was living in a Tied House with his wife and family, died then they would let the family stay on with someone having a job or not, or move them if needed to a smaller house, on the land or the House. Other Estates weren't so kindly and, if the family didn't have a job, would literally put the family out on the street. But the Devonshire's looked after their staff and families which made the families very loyal. Some of my ancestors also came from Eyam, which is also known as the Plague Village. When several members of the village died of the Black Death, [Bubonic Plague], the village was isolated, nobody allowed in or out. So the villagers had to rely on food etc being brought to a agreed place and left, with payment being made by leaving coins placed in bowls of Vinegar to, hopefully, kill the germs.:hate-shocked:

• Informative Informative x 3
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      They do like Sun, that's true. But, like with most gardens, you can't always plant something where it's exactly ideal, so some of my Peonie are planted either in Sun, light shade, and especially the old fashioned single Peonies, fairly deep shade. But again, like some other plants, you might have to move them until you find a place where they are happy.....which is not always the recommended areas described by the Gardening Books and "Experts" :dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                        Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
                      • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                        +3,028

Now I'm confused :scratch:

ok.... I was going to put them where they have morning sun and evening sun with some shelter during strong daylight... having absorbed the above information I thought it best to put them in full sun...

Maybe I should just put them where I was going to in the first place and let them take their chances.....:noidea::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Plants are worse than having children... at least I could say... tough... to them!!

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • silu

Ratings:
                          +8,083
                          I'd plant them where YOU would like to see them! @Apple Blossom Mine are in all sorts of areas. If you are going for Tree Peonies then I would be a bit careful not to put them where it is exposed to the wind as the branches are quite brittle. I wouldn't recommend where it's very shady but apart from that give them a go where it suits you.

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                            +3,028
                            Hi Silu, all joking aside :), I will be putting them where I first thought as it is lovely and sunny and like you said it is more sheltered. If I put them in the 'old veggie plot' it is open to the ellements so they probably would get a bit of a battering with the wind. Thank you for the advice :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                              Ratings:
                              +30,616
                              Just an fyi - the peony sections that I divided and moved are getting ready to flower.

I have no idea what variety it is - when I bought it, the label said "Final Markdown" and the thing was most of the way dead... same thing with a clematis I have.

• Like Like x 1
                              • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                                +10,302
                                Hi A, me and the wife are going here tomorrow, its only a half hour drive for us, JFK sister is buried in the church yard, i believe he attended the funeral if my memory serves me well,

I will post a few pictures up in a new thread.

• Like Like x 2