Peony Help

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by weas3l, Apr 10, 2019.

1. weas3l

weas3l Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    I have a patio peony on order, I have a question about the type of compost I can use. I have a tub full of ericaceous compost that is devoid of plants and was planning on putting the peony in that, can I do that and will it grow?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,969
    I think these 'patio peonies' are herbaceous, so neutral to slightly alkaline compost is preferable. It's very easy to turn ericaceous soil or compost alkaline by adding garden lime, but it seems a shame to do that when so many other choice plants would appreciate the acid conditions. The RHS recommend a soil-based compost based on John Innes No.3 (probably best to add some horticultural grit as peonies like good drainage too).

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Agree with that weas31. Herbaceous peonies will not enjoy ericaceous compost ...they prefer neutral to alkaline soil. They do well here in my free draining but organically rich sandy loam.....
    I too would save the ericaceous compost for out and out acid lovers like azaleas, rhododendrons, dwarf pieris and the like :)