1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pepper plants mouldy compost

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Charlie Sinclair, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Charlie Sinclair

Charlie Sinclair Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, im new to gardening and its my first time trying to grow sweet pepper plants, they have not long started to grow but i am a bit worried that i have white mould growing on my soil does anyone know how to get rid of this?and is it still safe to eat the peppers once they have fully grown? I am growing them indoors in a plastic pot and i am using coconut soil.
    Thank you

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    I am not too sure so i looked on the net and its White mold i which s a fungus
    you could simply scrape this mold off the top of your soil, but you will probably want to address the reasons why it is there in the first place. It can be caused by waterlogged soil.so
    reduce the amount of water that you are giving the plant.
    If you feel as though you haven’t been over-watering the plant, then it could mean that the pot or basket does not have sufficient drainage.also fungus like shade so is it in a shady spot? if it is remove to a sunny spot
    I read its not harmful but the mold spores can spread to other plants through the air so you need to adress the problem here a link that might help
    Simpliflygardening.com/soil-have-white-mold

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,192
      Don't worry too much @Charlie Sinclair it is a sign of over watering but won't affect the safety or taste of peppers. Wait for the compost to dry on the surface between watering. Do you have drainage holes in the pot? Soggy compost will affect the growth of roots and your plants could potentially wilt or die if constantly over watered.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Charlie Sinclair

Ratings:
        +3

• Charlie Sinclair

Ratings:
        +3
        thank you i havent watered them for a couple days now and the soil is still damp the pots dont have drainage holes but i am worried the pots are toxic because i couldnt find out what plastic they were made out of might have to switch the pots out for new ones

• Leth

Leth Apprentice Gardener

Offshore worker
        Ratings:
        +8
        I am no expert but recently found out a revelation. I don't know if you have stones or some different kind of substrate under your compost for drainage. If you have don't! Water finds it hard to move between two different kinds of material and if you have stones they can hold the water in the pot causing over watering. This flies in the face of everything I have been told before.

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616
        @Leth @Charlie Sinclair I have had good success using Peroxide - the 1% over the counter stuff you can get at the pharmacy. Spray it on the soil. Good bye white fuzz. It also works if you think you see damp off on seedlings. And it does not harm the plants.

I zero pots with no drainage holes. Always allow the water to run out. I have a strip of felt stuffed in the holes. Water runs out if too much. If thirsty, the water is sucked up through the felt like a straw, from the saucer. I use this same method for capillary watering. Much safer and way less chance of mold.

• Like Like x 5
        • Charlie Sinclair

Ratings:
          +3

• Like Like x 1
          • Leth

Leth Apprentice Gardener

Offshore worker
            Ratings:
            +8
            I did not mean to patronise anyone. This information is totally new to me and I have no idea if it is widely known. Thanks for your replies guys.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Flat1

Flat1 Gardener

Ratings:
              +59

Hi
              Can you tell me what brand or where did you get the coconut soil.
              As not all coco-coir is suitable for plants
              (Some need to be rinsed out first to remove the salt on the coconut soil)

The reason i ask is because i grew Pepper plants using coconut soil before and i would like to help

Also i hope you know that coconut soil is just that and nothing else
              Which means plants will not have the nutrition they need from coconut soil alone.

• Charlie Sinclair

Ratings:
              +3
              Thank u for the advice and i got the coconut soil on amazon it comes compressed and it is peat free and unfertilized the plant seems to be growing ok in it

• Like Like x 2
              • Flat1

Flat1 Gardener

Ratings:
                +59
                The coconut soil sounds good as long as it is salt free.
                (Normally the compressed stuff still contains some salt and needs to be rinsed out with clean water).

Pepper plants are strong during the germination stage. And dont need any nutrition during the first week or so.
                They will not show signs of stress untill later on when the first leaves appear.
                At some point you will need to figure out how the plant will get its nutrition.

Also bare in mind that coco-coir tends to absorb the calcium you add to your water at first, so any plants will need extra calcium + magnesium especially for the first few weeks.
                Pepper plants like a lot of calcium for sure

• Like Like x 1
                • Charlie Sinclair

Ratings:
                  +3
                  Thank you

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
                  +611
                  A freind used coconut soil and found her plants didn't do to well so I suggested she use for calcium and nutrients eggshells and fresh coffee grounds infact some plants do well on it
                  my raspberries and strawberries plus some others are doing well a cheap fertilizer

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Flat1

Flat1 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +59
                    The eggshell and coffee grounds are good but they affect the soil PH
                    The purpose of using coco-coir is because it has no affect on the soil PH.

coffee grounds and eggshells do are a good supplement and thevprovide the nutrients when they are broken down by fungus or by composting worms like red wriglers

If you do not provide enough nutrition you will find your pepper fruit will be ruined like i did when i first used coco-coir for pepper plants

I use the best natural fertiliser in the world!

I have a worm bin and i use the leached water to feed my plants i feed the worms clean unprocessed food
                    And they make the best nutrients for my plants.

Also peppers do not need deep pots but they dont like being dry for too long