Phlox subulata moerheimmi

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Karen1986, May 22, 2020.

1. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

Looking for a but info on Phlox subulata moerheimmi - there’s so much info out there but I can’t seem to find answers I need! I’m very new to gardening!

- will this plant stay green over the winter? I’ve read some do. The flowers look like they’re already dying off but leaves are still green.
    - if it doesn’t stay green over winter, what will it look like? I was wanting a plant to keep the soil covered all winter.l rather than die away to nothing.

thanks (I’m based in UK if this is helpful)
    Karen

• Like Like x 1
    • glengarry23

glengarry23 Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +5,251
      @Karen1986 ,

Your Phlox should still be in flower as its a mid to late Spring bloomer,..it will remain evergreen with its dark foliage always showing,..after a few years or just when it spreads in a nice amount you can divide and plant it,..its an Alpine Plant,..dead heading will prolong the flowering period,..you can also take cuttings.

• Karen1986

Ratings:
      +5
      Thanks for your reply. The flowers have died but the greenery looks ok (for now). I’m guessing the plant will just die off then!

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi @Karen1986 , why do you think your plant will just die off ?

I grow four different varieties of P. Subulata and they've all finished flowering now. They don't like it when it gets too warm and sunny.

All you need to do is give it a light going over ( I use a pair of scissors ) and you'll soon see new shoots appearing.

They are a daylight/temperature initiated plant. This means that when the daylight hours grow shorter and cooler they can flower again in Autumn, although not as many as in Spring.

• Karen1986

Ratings:
      +5
      Hi

I didn’t realise it could flower again this year so good to know!

I was worried the phlox plants were dying within days of planting them as they looked a bit wilted and now flowers have died off (but as you say that’s normal). I hadn’t prepared the soil properly when I first planted them so had to take them out a few days later, improve the soil and replant so not sure if this could have damaged them a bit. The soil was really bad as I had lifted stones and underneath the soil was like soggy compacted clay with loads of stones/brick. So I’m also still a bit worried the soil hadn’t been prepared well enough. Hopefully they’ll survive!
      Thanks
      Karen

• Like Like x 1