1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Photophobic Cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by The Skiver, Jun 27, 2005.

1. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a long, tall cactus which has suddenly decided that it doesn't like light and is doing all it can to avoid it.

It is currently leaning at 90 degrees and curving like a hook.

Anyone know a way out of this, I've tried everything I can think of so far?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Is it definitely a catus and not another succulent?...the base is not rotting is it? most cacti are desert plants and so enjoy full sun, except the epiphyllums and jungle cacti

you could always lop the top off an re root it

3. mr piles

mr piles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, take a scalpel or very sharp blade and make as clean a cut as possible near the base of the plant... leave the parent plant in place, as very often new growth will appear... take the cutting and face the cut end to the sun... leave it to dry out COMPLETELY, then lay it on top of some sharp sand which is a few millimetres thick, and lying on top of compost... add just a touch of water, and it should root itself again...