1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

pickled

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by hans, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ellengray

ellengray Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I preserve everything - really into it - jams, toppings, fruit butters and spreads, chutneys, pickles, tomatoes (whole, soups, suces, salsas etc), beets, fruit,something called "Too much" which is a concoction of honey, maple syrup and pumpkin and is really, really too much ;) Esentially,if it can be pickled or otherwise preserved, then I do it. I use hot boiling method as well a pressure canner, have hundreds of jars and even more new lids (I use new lids each time as the rubber seal around the lid degrades significantly after each use).

I tend to buy my jars new in bulk - they're extremely cheap from a jar manufacturer (for me a few cents a jar) because then I get uniformity and precisely the size and shape I need (I have German genes ;) ), and a clean jar with no nicks.

[ 07. November 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: ellengray ]

2. Jason1234

Jason1234 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try WD40 to remove the glue, worked really well for me on a metal item

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    www.twbc.org/wd40.htm
    Hope this is right this time [​IMG]

[ 29. December 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Paladin ]

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Good to see many of you may be, or still are, interested in 'preserving'. It's not as popular as when I was a youngster perhaps. WI ladies excluded and from whom I often buy a cake. One thing about 'doing' your own stuff is you know what is actually in the final product, weather it be Pic/onions, chutneys, jams, home made marmalade [nothing nicer], wine etc, you are in charge. No flavour inhancers, funny numbers, sweetners, stabilisers and so on. And you can do it most of the year.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] We still make our own jams, chutneys, cakes, bread & pickles as well as all sorts of oddities. I have found putting the jars through the dishwasher is very good at removing the sticky labels. Then I fish the label out of the filter at the end of the cycle, it is usually still in one peice. Because the temp of the washer is quite high it usually gets them off & sparkling clean jars at the end of it too... [​IMG]
    Even my daughter in law has even started making her own bread, cakes & some preserves... :D

[ 04. January 2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have two boys - 7 and 10 - and each Christmas, Nanny gives us a jar of "home" pickled onions, which they devour at break-neck speed... this Christmas, we tried other pickles too, and all decided shop ones didn't even come close to home made, so later this year, we are going to do our own onions, picililli (sp?), chutney, etc.... so I will be no doubt picking your brains for recepies, etc.... we also came to the conclusion that you need lots of yummy home- made one in the summer when you eat your salads outside..... :D