1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

planning stage

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by bigbore, Jun 13, 2015.

1. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    The 1st pond was 15ft x 5ft x 4ft ..I would not build bigger than that today of I was to build another ...I would go to 5ft deep though .. the shelves I just planned in where I wanted the iris and plants etc to sit ...I do have my builds somewhere I will try get them for you .... and yes I just built a breeze block color around the edge and then finished it of with nice coping stones .

2. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    that sounds about the right size to be honest, i was tempted to go the filter box way at the very beginning but now i will be. I only really want the pond as a nice relaxing feature in the garden

3. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    Kevin did you cement any of your rocks in place on the waterfall or the coping stones on the edge? As I'm not sure what to do as I hear the cement can leach bad stuff into the water

4. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    The rocks on the waterfall were that heavy they were placed ...but it was limestone so I saled them 1st ... the coping stone was cemented as was the block wall but that was covered with rubber lining

Attached Files:

5. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    Did you do any footings for the blocks to sit on?

6. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Nope ...just cemented them on a shelf ...I would now if doing it again but I had no issues

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    @bigbore , just be aware, 'proper' Koi ponds are quite expensive to build, if you want to do it right. I built one at my last house which measured 13ft x 10ft x 5ft. In the end it cost me maybe £7,000? Of course, that was getting someone in to dig the hole, and some 'finishing', but the filters alone cost me maybe £1,500 (bead filter and sieve). Don't get me wrong, get it right and it's great/a thing of beauty, but just be aware :)

8. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    My last pond was 15ft x 15ft and 5ft deep ... it was in 4 inch , 2 inch and 1.5 inch pressure pipe .2 x bottom drains both aerated .. it had 2 sieves a nexus 210 and ultra bead ub60 bead filter . 2 x sequence 18000 external pumps and 55w uv along with 2 air pumps ... I dug the whole and built the filter pit and built the whole pond myself and I cannot even imagine how much it cost ... the sad thing is it was amazing crystal clear water my fish were very big and 3 years after with electric going up and up I had to shut it down as it was just to dear ...especially in the summer