1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

plant hydrangea glam rock

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by McTavish14, Oct 5, 2019.

1. McTavish14

McTavish14 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I have been given a hydrangea glam rock in a pot, which I would like to plant out into garden.
    Can someone advise if I should do so now or wait til Spring?
    Also any tips on care welcome. I believe I need to cut back in Spring.Do I do this before or after moving it (assuming Im leaving it in pot til Next year)

Attached Files:

2. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,988
    If it's pot grown McTavish now is the perfect time to get it in.Go for it :dbgrtmb:

3. luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
    Ratings:
    +125
    I have its "cousin", called Pistachio. Just be advised that these rebloomer macrophyllas may already have invisible flower buds at the ends of the stems. These flower buds are located at the ends of the stems and, typically, will open in Spring 2020 unless you prune the stems. So, you may want to hold off on any stem cuttings until after they bloom so you enjoy the blooms.

You can deadhead the spent blooms at any time though. That is done by cutting the petiole string that connects the blooms to the stem.

• Like Like x 1
    • McTavish14

Ratings:
      +7
      thanks though no idea what a ptiole string is?

• McTavish14

Ratings:
      +7
      another probably daft question.
      Anyone advise best way to get it out of pot (its not a plastic one ) and how deep do I plant. I know hole needs to be bigger but should it sit level with or below top of hole?

• luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Ratings:
      +125
      Petiole is a reference to the part of a leaf that connects the leaf itself to the stem. Sorry, I tried to enter a link (with a picture) but the website will not let me do a save with it. ;o(

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,509
      It normally advised to leave the deadhead on in cold areas it protects the lower buds from frost . And luis is right they will flower on old wood so don't cut it back or no flowers next year. Plant it level to where it was in the pot. Is the pot narrower at the top than in the middle ?

• luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Ratings:
      +125
      Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then carefully extract the shrub. If it has roots growing from the bottom of the pot and these have grown into the ground, I would cut them...