Plant (or are they weeds!) identification help

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Tracey B, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Tracey B

Tracey B Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to this site and am looking for some help in identifying some plants in my garden. We have only recently moved here and I have gone from a back yard with bedding plants in pots to a much much larger garden with loads of plants and shrubs - and no idea of what they are.

Hopefully here is a link to just some of them:-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2837550

The plant in the first picture is in a pot and reminds me a bit of a yucca plant although it doesnt have the long stump!

The plant in the second photo just seems to spread and is rather yellow in the middle - some of the leaves were slightly red very early in the year.

The plant in the fourth picture seems to be popping up everywhere which made me wonder if this is in fact a weed! the leaves are slightly 'furry' and quite thick. Something is also eating it!

The plant in the 5th picture is also popping up everytwhere but this is quite a lovely fine plant and I'm hoping this is one to keep!

Plant 6 is in a bit of a mess and I'm tempted to just pull it up but if it turns out to be something that will produce something quite pretty I dont mind nursing it!

The last one again is appearing everywhere and though you cant see it in the picture, there are now little blue flowers appearing. This is really low lying and spreading rather quickly - I think this may be a weed?

My final question (on this post anyhow - I think I'm going to pop up quite a bit on here begging for helo!) is about pampass grass (this one I know!) - what do I have to do to it. I have pulled out some of the dead leaves and the bamboo type dead shoots - do I have to trim the ends so they are not lying all over the grass - does it need any special plant food?

Many thanks for any help - sorry to have gone on so long!! :eek:

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the bulbs in pot could well be amaryllis, or some such, more likely indoor/greenhouse plant
    4)the half eaten one is foxglove .... can be considered as a wild flower,it looks like it needs to be split up, it will self seed so there may be lots of tiny ones in same area
    6)the one like elephant ears is Bergenia which flowers about now with pink spikes

[ 09. April 2006, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Lady Gardener ]

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Third pic looks like Skimmia japonica.
    Last one is For-get-me-not..
    There is a Pampas topic on here with extensive coverage. ;)

4. Tracey B

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ladygardener - the Foxglove is everywhere - and being eaten everywhere!

I had better split the Amaryllis and bring it in - no wonder it looks a bit sad - it must be freezing!

Thanks so much for your speedy help!

5. Tracey B

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks too Paladin - will have a look for the Pampas topic.

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No 5 could be a californian poppy?

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I think no. 2 might be Heuchera, and no. 5 Pulsatilla. No. 1 I have seen somewhere, that leaf formation is distinctive. Must be hardy as well if these are recent photos. Is it hymenocallis?

8. Tracey B

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love no 5 to be a poppy as these are one of my favourites. It could be a Pulsatilla too though.

As they both self seed - it would explian why these as well as the foxgloves are everywhere!

Thank you so much for your help - will post a few more later in the week!!

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    well I love all three, so you are lucky either way, just get the fox glove in shade and poopy in sun.
    good Luck

10. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whether No5 is a poppy or Anthemis. No3 is definitely Skimmia and the others I agree with
    everyone else.

11. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Could no 5 be artemissia (lads love)

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    IMO - for what it's worth ...
    1)like TLG - could be an Amarylis
    2) def heuchera
    3) daf skimmia
    4) foxglove
    5) - dicentra specatlilis alba is rather like that - but not sure...
    6)def bergenia, prob cordifolia
    7) forget-me-not
    Any advances on that????
    ;)