1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

planting a hedge, in need of advice

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by jamsy, Jul 26, 2018.

1. jamsy

jamsy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, this is my first post and straight off i need to ask some hedging advice :)

I have a relatively small side garden that is basically all the outside space apart from a small front garden that i have. I want to make it as private as possible. as it's in the front i can't have a fence or wall higher than 1 metre but the restriction on hedge height is a bit more lenient. i'm hoping to grow something around 6ft that will allow me to have some privacy in the summer
    Can someone point me in the right direction as to the fastest growing hedges?
    Would cherry laurel be a good choice?

Also, do all evergreen hedges have deep roots, I'm a bit worried about a drain/sewer pipe that runs near the border, my neighbour has a hedge that's been there years and no problems have come from it as far as i'm aware.
    I've attached 2 pics to give you an idea of the size of the area.
    Thanks all :) garden.jpg garden 2.jpg

2. Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +250
    First of all, can we see pics of your "front garden"? Tell us what size that area is????

Oh and welcome to our little group..

3. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,098
    I wouldnt be planting any hedge right now. Too dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hello jamsy....welcome to the forum :)

You could have individual shrubs there to act as a hedge to give you privacy:). Just a thought. You could mix tall and shorter shrubs and grasses there.

Escallonia makes an excellent hedge with attractive flowers in summer. Reasonably quick growing. Hebe salicifoia too is very attractive with white, pink, blue summer flowers. Euonymous japonicus has variegated foliage so good all year round.
      Pittosporum Garnettii is fairly quick growing with grey/pink/ green evergreen foliage.
      The yellow leaf privet....ligustrum aureum ....too is worth considering.
      Berberis Darwinii is an evergreen shrub with orange flowers in spring that can be pruned to size to make a hedge.
      The dogwoods grow quickly but not evergreen; however they have bright red stems when the leaves drop to create an attractive scene, esp if it snows in winter.

Concerning "mixtures" , choisya is a very attractive evergreen with aromatic foliage and scented flowers in summer, Cotinus Royal Purple makes a purple shrub over 6' high every year from being cut back in autumn. Grasses like miscanthus will make a tall screen for summer privacy or they can be planted in between other shrubs.

I am sure others can make suggestions too jamsy :smile:

You can make preparations for planting now and get ideas together for planting in September, the ideal month for planting

• Like Like x 1