1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting near a drain cover

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by small_vee, Jun 24, 2014.

1. small_vee

small_vee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    At the front of our front garden there is a drain cover, but we'd like to plant a few bits there as it's a very plain uninteresting space. We're thinking of maybe a choisya which can easily be kept under control, or a number of smaller plants. What are the best plants to plant near drain covers? Obviously the roots need to be non-invasive in case access is needed. Evergreen is the only thing that we are definite on, if it flowers at some point or has interesting colour then even better.

I've attached a photo (hopefully it is showing the right way up, flipping iPads always send it wonky) - its the section nearest the road up to where our hedge ends.

I'm a complete novice so hopefully there's some good advice out there!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner small_vee. :)

Because of the drain situation and of course what it covers I wouldn't suggest planting large shrubs there in case the roots damage the drain. Something the size of Lavender would be best.

I have the mains sewer running through my garden and an electricity cable pole in the middle of a bed. In the picture below you can see both a pot standing on the sewer cover and the pole.

043.JPG

You could make the area of the drain into a feature, perhaps a small flower bed round it and as above stand a pot of flowers on the cover.

• Like Like x 1
    • small_vee

small_vee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      That's so pretty, I love it! Thanks Sheal, something like that would be lovely and would definitely brighten up our boring patch of grass!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,617
      Thanks small-vee, that picture is a couple of years old now, I need to take more this year. :) I thought it would give you ideas as to what you can do. Most of the plants in the bed above you could use, let me know if you want any named.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      You think?!!!!:heehee:

Well, if you discount Shrubs [for the time being] then here's ten Hardy Perennials that might suffice.
      Foxglove "Illumination Pink"
      Salvia nemorosa "Caradonna"
      Tiarella "Iron Butterfly"
      Euphorbia coralloides
      Erysimum "Bowles Mauve"
      Verbenas
      Heucheras
      Dianthus
      Penstemons
      Geraniums

If, like you mention, you're contemplating evergreen shrubs then I agree with Sheal that you have to be careful of roots damaging drains. However, if the drain cover is to an inspection area then they are usually more solidly built and a shrub is not likely to do damage. If it's just drainage pipes then I would think twice before planting shrubs/

But I have some evergreen shrubs in my garden that you may like [leaving out Choisya which you have mentioned and I have].

Garrya "James Roofe"
      Osmanthus Davidii
      Daphne
      Aucuba
      Camellia
      Mahonia
      Euonymus
      Hebe
      Photina
      Holly

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,617
      Armandii.....with my own experience of root damage I would still suggest not planting shrubs. Even though, as you say, shrubs probably won't damage and inspection area, but there are pipes leading into that and roots will find those as I know to my cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I agree, Sheal, which is which I said

:snork:

• Like Like x 1