1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting Raspberry Canes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    So I got the Raspberry canes from BQ (Canes are expensive in NI as postage is a big issue and ost garden centres dont stock/charge a fortune)

They come in a rootball but I tried soaking them and all the coir surrounding it simply fell off? Should I not have done this and just planted it then watered? There was still the stem and some roots left but I worry now they are ruined! What should I do?

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,101
    Just stick em in the ground in the a.m. should be fine. Tough as old boots. Water in.

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    No, not ruined at all Greecko :)
    Get some compost in there, dont plant too deep, give them some fertiliser (I prefer organic like fish blood and bone) and water well. Apply a mulch
    Enjoy :)

4. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Remember. You can increase/replenish your stock via cuttings. These are taken fro the base of the plant. Planting, usually best to plant like cordons. Plant the stocks at an angle and tie in. Then get my friend Verdun to pop across and apply a feed. smile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Of course I will Mike :)

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      Thanks guys! Some of them are still bare canes so hoping they are still viable and wake up soon! The golden raspberries I planted already have leaves budding so hoping they work! Any tips on what I should do as one is fallgold and the other is malling promise. So a primo and floricane. Should I just let each root in and grow as normal?