1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Poisonous Plants - A summary

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Phil A, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "As long as you quote the source, I don't see anything wrong in pasting something from elsewhere."

Not the case for regular Copyright (e.g. copying a page wholesale from my blog onto your blog is unlikely to be regarded as "fair use" under Copyright law, nor would photocopying a book or copying a music album ...), although as Ziggy says, Wikipedia have a more liberal "creative commons" copyright that allows you to do what you like with the content provided you attribute it and include the original copyright notice (so that anyone else copying it is bound by the same copyright).

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    King Mithridates of Pontus was paranoid that he would be poisoned, so he supposedly took a little bit of the well known poisons every day as an antidote.

His system worked so well, that when he was cornered by the Romans in what is modern day Crimea, he had to order a slave to stab him to death because suicide by poisoning didn't work!

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,890

I've grown it, a lovely shrub and has colonised itself at the Ventnor Botanical Gardens, IoW, and I brought one here which I lost ... think heatwave shock.

Reading up on these things today I read that the toxic Lantana berries are edible whilst ripe but poisonous whilst green. I obviously have a hedge full of black berries but don't think I'll make a pie or jam in the foreseable future ... :skp:

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Kristen - you may be right about copyright, but I regret to say that in my old age I have limited respect for the law. However I have great respect for what is right and what is wrong - which may be quite different from the law.

For instance, in Germany it was entirely legal to deport and execute Jews - Hitler made the laws. But in the UK it is currently illegal to give a weather forecast. A P Herbert pointed out that there is (unless it has been removed in the last 20 years) a law of 1300 and something that prohibites the telling of the future. :D

So I can't say what I would do for fear of breaking the law. :hehe:

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm very heartened by your post Peter.

I presume it is it is no longer legal, in Germany, to deport and execute Jews

Thus there is hope for our weather forecast in the future!

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Perhaps we should still ban weather forcasting - at least until they get it right. :doh:

There are probably any number of anomolies around. I used to live in Monmouthshire (now called Gwent) and was told that we were still at war with Germany. Apparently England, Wales and Monmouthshire declared war with Germany, but peace was only signed by England and Wales - so Monmouthshire is still at war - but maybe Gwent isn't. :cnfs:

As far as poisonous plants are concerned, I would tend to agree that some of the talk is overdone. My old neighbour, a doctor, pointed out that Chilli peppers are poisonous (Solanaceae) but just make you feel hot in small doses.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Yes I know there is a certain amount of pandering going on here I agree... But.... I think Ziggy has a very good point as well... :scratch:
    I was brought up in the countryside until about age 10... It was drummed into me at an early certain things never to touch even though they looked so tasty, but my parents & grandparents knew what they all were...... It never frightened me, but did deter me from eating all sorts of tasty looking things, we lived in the New Forest & I was gone from breakfast to tea some days, exploring streams etc in the forest with my friends, ahh days of innocence, :dh: but it also gave me a fascination for plants that I never lost... This I have passed to my daughter & grand children I think, as we go exploring in the woods & covered hedge ditches even now,,,, A bit hard on the old knees etc, but I will always be there to teach my lot about the edible berries & plants flowers the poisonous plants etc as I was.... To give them a good grounding........ Allot of children today are not so lucky.....!

:cnfs: Sadly, I think not enough take notice of nature & not enough parents know anything about it all......!!! So to me they need all the help they can get these days... :wink:

8. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) I am getting on a bit lol ,and I have NEVER known of anyone being the least bit poisoned by plants,have you? not even children ,yes the odd rash or nettle stings.
    You would need to eat a lot of any plant to be poisoned and you just don,t eat plants that are not edible.....do you?

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,969
    I think a list of plants that can cause problems if eaten is a good idea, as long as it keeps to the facts and isn't alarmist as people do tend to over react.
    Also it needs to contain as many everyday plants as possible so as to put the "dangers" into perspective.

I'm having boiled runner bean roots and potato tops with my dinner tonight, followed by rhubarb leaves and custard, see you all tomorrow.:)

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Well roders & everyone, you don't if you know what they are they do & can do harm to your children it seems if you don't know or understand them.... :scratch:

I have a friend who works at the big children's hospital near by.. She say's it is amazing & common the numbers of children who are admitted for eating berries & leaves & flowers that ar toxic & poisonous to them being so small... Although not fatal, these children still need hospital care & all because nobody told them not to eat it because the parents &grandparents in some cases didn't know.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

So I think we should never be complacent just because we are keen gardeners & know...... So many people do not garden & do not know how harmful some plants fruits flowrs & berries can be.... :(

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thmb: Love ya Pete.... :wink::D

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,969
    I go along with what your saying Marley.

We have two kinds of parents these days, the over protective, shock, horror, kind, and the couldn't give a monkeys, kind.
    (I'm probably wrong):flag:

But most are so out of touch with nature they tend to fall into one category or the other.

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, i'll pop round with some of my bryony root bread, topped with aquillegia seeds & a nice bottle of thornapple & snowberry wine.

15. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    I remember hearing about that here:thumb:, and my neighbors wonder why i wont go up the mountain with her and pick mushrooms :flag:s00k