1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Poisonous Plants - A summary

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Phil A, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't even see a pixie with that one, waste of time.

Now the other mushrooms, well thats a different story.:flwsml:

2. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    "I've been eating Apples, core-pips-and-all all my life - I hope its not a cumulative poison!"

All woody members of the rose family (Rosacea) have poisonous seeds, including apples.

A man has died of cyanide poisoning after eating a whole cupful of apple pips. Don't know why he did it - I assume he wanted to show it wasn't true that apple pips were poisonous - oops!

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    As for picking wild mushrooms - never, ever, ever. It's not worth the risk. Just buy them from Sainsbury's for goodness sake!

I've no idea why people use them, er, recreationally. Not pleasant in my experience.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Andrew, wondered where you'd got to, you been cultivating the local roundabout ready for spring I suppose.:hehe:

Shamens have traditionally used them in vision quests, they certainly broaden your mind but can also put you in hospital :reindeer: Especially when you go to look for a regular emoticon & start seeing things like this, heavy, man, heavy.:usr:

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :hehe: :dh:Sort of know where you are coming from Ziggy, :dh: a wild child in the late 50s & 60s & but the seventies were more spiritual for me...!!! :wink::D

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You're not trying to say you've experimented with..........

....Tea ! Thought only The Ruttles tried that!!:hehe:

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFDkpNma-k"]YouTube - WILD TEA PARTIES[/nomedia]

8. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I've been facing a gardener's nightmare, Ziggy - not knowing whether I'll be in the house for much longer. Do I lift me favourite plants, do I plant bulbs and bother with spring planning etc.

As part of my precautions I did take some cuttings of a georgeous climbing Nightshade that self-seeded though. I can't work out whether it's Solanum crispum or S. seaforthanium. Lovely plant, whatever it was. Very attractive berries!

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nitemare !

I had to leave nearly everything when I moved. All I have left are the olive & fig trees, which were in pots.

Started again from scratch, now I might have to sell up AGAIN :dh:

You being relocated then ?

10. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Have been picking and eating wild mushrooms for several years but only one type of mushroom (the Boletus). Now we are inundated on our local common by great numbers of our E European immigrant friends who pick huge volumes of all sorts of wild mushrooms evey week in the season, leaving slim pickings for the rest.

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that Whitmore common barnaby ?

12. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    No Ziggy, Chobham Common near Woking - beautiful open landscape much used by the horse riding fratenity and local walkers (plus me and my dog.....).

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Aah, used to work in Chobham, back in 1980.:old:

Lovely area.

14. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    It's a great place to live, got the common,the pub round the corner from us and the golf course only the other side of the village - having the bakery within walking distance is a bit dangeous for the weight control but - who cares..........
    We've only been here for three years so no knowledge of the 80's although I'm told that there were a few more pubs?.

15. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought this was relevant to this thread

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-drink/top-10-most-toxic-foods-blog-31-real-buzz.html