1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Polytunnel ventilation

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by WoolyBack, Nov 26, 2017.

1. WoolyBack

WoolyBack Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    It got warm in the polytunnel this year (50+ quite often) even with the doors open. The quality of the tomatoes was pretty poor, though I got a reasonable weight.

The easiest thing to add I think would be one of these round roof vents:(northernpolytunnels site: not allowed to create a proper link as first post)
    ../hobby-range/polytunnel-ventilation/polytunnel-roof-vent.html

This entails cutting a hole in the roof and pushing it in. Has anyone got one and if so how effective is it? or does anyone have any other ideas that might be easy to fit?

My polytunnel is 14' x 25' with a good size double-door at one end and a single size ventilation pannel at the other end.

2. wavebuster

wavebuster Gardener

Ratings:
    +122
    Go down the side ventilation route mate! Think you will be opening a big can of worms if you start poking holes in the roof of your polytunnel......:yikes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      How about making another double door?

• WoolyBack

WoolyBack Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      I had thought of another set of double doors Dave, but it backs on to a hedge so might not be that good. Also would cost more as aluminium and I would probably need to buy from tunnel maker - and I had a bit of difficulty putting on the double doors at the front.

The side ventilation is another option. I was thinking that a roof vent would be simpler to fit and easier to use but not sure it would be up to the job. Will probably go for side ventilation but might have another look round the web to see if anyone has used one as opening roof vent with a pull chain would be easier and quicker to use. Might ask Northern polytunnels if they have sold many round and about and if they have any technical info on air flow you could expect. But I would prefer 3rd party feedback ideally. Still got a couple fo months to think about it.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,697
      Hi could you post some photos of your tunnel and its situation, from there we could possibly advise further.

Steve...:)

• FellowGardener

FellowGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Hello! I was wondering if any of You tried automatic window opener for greenhouse and could share His experience with it?

Attached Files:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +20,732
      Used them for years never had a major problem with them. If you live in a cold area then take them off and store frost free over winter, remember to lock vent after removal.