1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pomegranate

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by greenclaws25, May 13, 2012.

1. greenclaws25

greenclaws25 Apprentice Gardener

Spending far too much on plants!
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any tips for growing pomegranate trees. Ive a baby one and want to at least keep the poor thing alive in this diabolical weather we've been having:love30: ....got it in a sheltered spot on a west facing patio and it is getting new growth which is promising

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hello again ; ) .....Pomegranate are ever so slow growing plant , but absolutely though plants , well drained soil and sunny spot is what they need ......got mine out of a pomegranate from tesco , they are ever so easy to germinate and even the seedling managed to survive the last 2 winter outdoor.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I've grown them out side for more than 30yrs, they only got cut down to the ground by frost on one year, I think it was in the early 80s.
    Not to say seedlings will always survive, but once a reasonable size is reached its ok to plant out.

Best to pick a sunny spot, against a wall would be ideal.
    I know of one around here which sets a couple of fruit most years, but I dont think summers are long enough for them to ripen.

4. greenclaws25

greenclaws25 Apprentice Gardener

Spending far too much on plants!
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great, good to know theyre hardier than I expected especiallywith the gale force winds gusting round the house right now...
    Thanks again Sal and Pete....what a friendly lot you all are...:)

5. island cassie

island cassie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sal73 - like you we have just grown about 40 plants from a supermarket fruit. These have grown to about 2.5ft tall in 3 months and are ready for potting on again - of course with our heat they are quite happy. Friends have a mahogany plantation and we grow trees for underplanting - so far we have grown cashew, coffee, cacoa and now pomegranates. So good luck with yours greenclaws25 - they don't seem too difficult if kept warm and sunny.

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,533
    Not the same as the Dom Republic here!:biggrin:

Dwarf Pomegranate is hardier than the commercial one but not as impressive.