1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pond Advice

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by luciusmaximus, Jul 16, 2019.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    The potted pond plants in my little wildlife pond have all got brown spots on the leaves. I planted them last year into large pots, so they would have plenty of growing room, one plant per pot. The weather has been hot and dry, no rainfall for weeks, so have topped up pond a few times with tap water. What could be the cause of the brown leaf spots and how do I rectify it, please?.

I'll take a pic later if I get chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      Just wondering off the top of my head if these could be burn marks - created by water droplets on the leaves, catching the sun? Would make sense if you have a fountain regularly playing, creatures splashing around in there, or whatever. But yes do take a photograph to show us!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        There's no fountain Clare. I didn't think about water droplets. I do tend to water after the sun has gone off the garden but I guess droplets could sit on the leaves overnight. The garden is south/ south east facing and has sun all day from sunrise until late afternoon. I had a quick look earlier on my way out and one of the plants has actually died :sad:. Will definitely take pic tomorrow.

@ARMANDII have you returned ? :) :yahoo:.

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Like the proverbial Bad Penny, lucius. My health is still a problem but my pain levels are now manageable and that allows to think of other things.:)

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Sorry one plant seems to have died. My suggestion. Remove the dead material, thus avoiding possible water contammination due to rotting.

It is a usual thing to use or top up ponds with tapwater. Why not? Actually although we can, thankfully drink tap water, it does still have chemicals in it. OK fill a container with tap water and let it stand for a day or two, or use collected rainwater.

Water droplets on leaves. Generally no problem, however watering the garden in broad sunlight can cause problems. This is down to the the droplets not being absorbed, they simply lie there like minature bullseyed magnifying lenses. The sun's rays can then be responisble for in a way causing the area beneath the droplet to actuall burn.

In general there are many answers, reasons for spots and blemishes on leaves. Stop worrying. In the natural course of things damaged, infected foliage will die back and drop.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +9,233
            @luciusmaximus , don’t blame yourself for any water droplets.

Remember, it’s a wildlife pond, and therefore there is a lot of wildlife activity. One major use of our ponds is a procession (sometimes there’s even a queue forming in the nearby trees!) of birds bathing and preening in the shallow water. This covers all the leaves with many water droplets. Nothing you can do about it - after all, it’s why the pond is there!!

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              I am so glad you are back :hapydancsmil:, you've been absent too long. I was quite shocked to read that you have had serious health problems :sad:. I do so hope that you will eventually make a full recovery. At least you've taken steps in the right direction with pain management. Are you back at home now?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
              • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                Ratings:
                +6,899
                @Sian in Belgium I don't see birds drinking from the pond, but there are bird baths and bowls in the garden, so that's probably why. I have found evidence that someone has bern poaching the large water snails :). I suspect Mr and Mrs Blackbird, although I haven't actually seen them do it, just spotted them in the vicinity.

Its feasible that water droplets and sunshine could be responsible for the spots, but I don't know if that would account for a plant dying. @Mike Allen I have already removed the dead plant.

• Like Like x 2
                  Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
                • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  IMG_20190630_1701301_rewind.jpg
                  IMG_20190717_1246355_rewind.jpg
                  IMG_20190717_1246481_rewind.jpg

Not the best of pics, sorry, but you can see the brown spots. Water level has dropped, I need to top it up as predicted rain has not arrived :dunno:.