1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pond filtration

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gizmo, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +851
    Hi I have built a pond in our garden 6 x 5 foot. 30.inch deep. I have got a hozelock easy clear 4500 pump with uv light plus filter it seems that I am cleaning out the pond pump weekly.
    I am looking at changing the filteration system and looking for advice on what sort of system would be better.. Thanks for your advice

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Are you having to clean it weekly because the flow rate is decreasing dramatically or just that the filter looks a bit dirty ?

Are you just cleaning the foams or all the other media in there and are you using pond water to clean it in or tap water ?
    Tap water destroys the good bacteria that have colonised the foams and filter media so always use pond water.

If you are looking for something easier to access then you need an external box type filter. something like this type which uses the pump from your existing filter, so that would have just a very course filter to stop the impellor blocking up.

EDIT - what we used to do with a smaller pump that had a fine filter and also blocked easily, was to get a sheet of very course foam( from pond shops) and just wrap it around the pumps intakes or the whole pump assembly with wire or cable ties etc.
    That caught all the large particles , but because the foams area was so large it took several weeks before the muck built up and affected the flow,

000645.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      Thanks for the reply.. I am thinking of a different filteration system as my health as got worse I have been diagnosed with clinical primary pain which is my nervous system..
      I was hoping it would be easier to do.
      I clean out original pump due to being dirty and I do clean all media with pond water.
      I was looking at the same filteration system but it says its got a uv light which I thought was run buy electricity.. You advised the new system would run of the old pump?
      Would I need another electric point to run uv light on new filteration system?
      Thanks for your advice

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      If you are changing it becuase the filter looks a bit dirty rather than the flow reducing, then suggest you leave it a lot longer or until there is a noticable reduction in flow, you can over clean filters and loose the good bacteria in them.

There are loads of similar external filters out there to choose from -
      Pond Filters

If using the one show above, cannot see any point in having its UV connected to power as seems your pump already has UV wired in.
      If you do want to run both, suggest you contact your electrician for advice as we are not qualified to do so.
      (when having an outside power point fitted, always better to have a double rather than single socket, you never know when an extra socket is useful for other equipment/lighting etc)

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +851
        Thanks for the reply. As I am thinking of different filtration for our pond. I can't see how the one shown above can run of original pump as never had a filtration system before unless you just connect a pipe to filteration system and then another pipe goes back into pond.

When electric was put in they did not do a socket as such they have taken electrics from inside property for original pump then spurred it of for water fountain lights..

I don't think I would be looking at 2 filteration pumps if I got a electrian in again I would be looking at replacing the pump for a filteration system like the one shown as I think it would. Be easier for me as my health has got worse now with clinical primary pain which is to do with my nerves

Thanks

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Have you read the user manual for that Blagdon filter or others ?
        It shows how its set up, with or without a waterfall. You only need one pump.
        However your waterfall may not be as strong as it is now due to the flow capacity of a filter box, you will again have to read the manual to see what flow the box is capable of.

https://www.blagdonwatergardening.co.uk/Media/Blagdon/Skoo/1010528/1010528_7.pdf

000647.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +851
          Many thanks for your help and advice

• Like Like x 1
          • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            hi i have bought this item but setting it up is a problem if it does not leak through the output connection or it wont flow through the water fall feature not even if it is high up
            any ideas ? thanks

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Hi,

Not quiet sure what you mean there ?

So you have got one of those Blagdon box filters, you have placed it Just a little above the height of the waterfall like the diagram above shows and have connected your pumps outlet pipe up to the filter box inlet , yes ?

So can you see any water coming into the filter from the pond pump ?

If not can you adjust the pump to increase the flow ?

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            hi yes its connected all up apart from electric .
            the unit fills up from pond pump , then over flows or very little flow through the water fall feature
            i have even tried adusting the pond pump flow no luck , i pressume these work with a water fall feature , just woundering as there is not one in the instruction manual .
            if not then is it possible to get a 2 way connector for a hoselock easy clear 4500 just thinging i might have to run the waterfall feature separate to the filteration unit

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            1. Which filter box have you bought ? as shown in the earlier post the Blagdon one shows it being used with a water fall, as you should be able to do with any such filter.

If you are getting little flow from the Outlet of the Box, but its also overflowing, have you checked all the filters and compartments, do some still have a protective wrapper on them so stopping the flow ?

Lift the lid and see which compartment its flooding out of, something after that point will be causing the blockage.

2. You want a good flow though the filter box to collect all the muck, so its easier for you to clean, so you want to get the Box filters flow correct.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            Hi. The filter. Box I bought was the one in your post. But according to manual I can't see. Where a waterfall is connected so it. Comes from pond pump to filer box then to water fall. The. Flow rate is. Low unless I have the connections wrong I can't see anything blocking the flow of water

IMG_20210611_160405.jpg IMG_20210611_160336.jpg IMG_20210611_160212.jpg IMG_20210611_160110.jpg

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            If you disconnect the inlet pipe and then turn on your pond pump is there a good flow coming out of the pipe ?

For the output you ideally need as large a diameter pipe as possible so it creates the least resistance. see the first pic below.

What we cannot see is the filter box in relation to the waterfall and how the outlet pipe runs from the box to the waterfall.

As the second pic shows you need the outlet pipe as close to the waterfall as you can and only a few inches higher; it must be a totally downwards pipe run or backup can happen in the filter box.

000658.jpg 000659.jpg

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            Hi the inlet pipe is from the pond pump and runs waterfall feature with out problem so I would. Have thought there should be enough flow of water through filter box

The drawing looks like the filter box is in ground

The filter box. Is less than 12.inches.from the. Water fall

I am also thinking if the output and input pipe connections are in the right place as you said about flow rate.
            The connection fittings came with the system

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            The drawing is just an example, the box can be rested on anything flat, soil or wood or stone.

As the outlet is so close to the waterfall thats should be fine, but your picture shows a very small clear pipe adapter in the output port, you really do not want that as it will restrict the flow too much.

Again, have to say, with the pond pump running, carefully look inside the box, is there a good flow coming in from the spray bar ?

Can you see which compartment is overflowing ?