1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pond Plant Advice

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by NCFCcrazy, Dec 29, 2014.

1. NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    I have built myself a small pond and was hoping for some plant suggestions. The Pond itself is small measuring 5ftx4ft so that needs to be a consideration.

Other considerations should be.
    Suitable for Part shade
    Should be Native
    Should be wildlife friendly.
    I have varying depths so looking for plants for all zones.
    Also looking at varying heights.
    I will not be having any fish!
    I have a very shallow, 1cm deep area, but this is reserved for my Sarracenia.
    Would like a small waterlily that is happy in part-shade.

I have done some research and have found these, are there any I should avoid in this list? Need to narrow this list down though, need to look natural, but not too busy.

Eleocharis acicularis - Needle spike Rush
    Pilularia globulifera - Pepper grass
    Caltha Palustris - King Cup Marsh Marigold Marginal
    Geum rivale - Water avens
    Carex pseudocyperus - Cyperus sedge Marginal Aquatic Pond Plants
    Iris pseudacorus - Yellow Flag
    Mentha aquatica - Water mint
    Myosotis scorpioides - Water forget me not - Myosotis Palustris
    Potentilla palustris - Marsh cinquefoil
    Veronica beccabunga - Brooklime
    Scirpus lacustris - Clubrush Aquatic Ponds Plants

• Like Like x 3
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi

All sounds great, what time of day does the pond get full sunshine ?
      Also one or two oxygenating plants will have to be added.

Spruce

• NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
      Ratings:
      +1,051
      It should have sun up until midday although there is a spot, due to a garage, that is pretty much full shade.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      If you have a shallow spot that gets most of the limited sunshine, you could add a venus fly trap for a bit of novelty. They are not native though, but no risk of them raging out of control.

Make sure there are easy ways to climb out for anything like hedgehogs that go for a drink and might fall in.

Also it would be a good idea to make a nice rocky or very well planted up route for amphibians to get in and out under cover.

I hope you like dragon flies and damsel flies. I got loads within weeks of building my pond. I love them though. They are fantastic to watch. My 5 year old son calls the bright blue damsel flies 'wand flies', because to him they are like magic wands floating about because you can hardly see their wings or legs, just the bright blue stick shaped body hovering around.

• Like Like x 1
      • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +4,586
        Note that anything Native will like to spread and yours is a small pond.

e.g. Water Mint & Yellow Flag. Easy enough to pull out the excess in Autumn, though. (Or, put them in baskets, black plastic buckets or pots to control their ambitions.)

Water Lilies are lovely in a pond.

• NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
        Ratings:
        +1,051
        Great suggestions, I think I may need to get some oxygenators in there sooner rather than later. I already have quite a few Pitcher plants so they will be taking the shallow spots but a Venus fly trap may find its way in there too.

Will definitely be planting everything in pots, although its shallow, I have created some shelves for the posts to sit on at varying levels.

I was tempted to created an are to try and grown watercress too, but they like running water and Waterlilies dont. Waterlilies win, just need to find one thats going to flower well in that spot.

• philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
        +846
        Hornwort is an excellent native oxygenating plant and it's easy to pull out the excess. It can just be thrown in and may put down a few roots, but mainly floats mid water. Love the sound of your project. I wouldn't plant Iris pseudacoris in a small pond, it can get a very strong hold and be difficult to take out. Good luck - spring is on the way :)