1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pond Pumps

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Elizabeth13, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hello all

I my mini pond container.. 60litres, 70"x40"x30".
    It has three little fishies in it.

However, my tiny lotus pump/fountain is useless.
    It doesn't flow properly no matter how many times i clean it out.
    I just want a nice kinda babbling fountain, nothing spectacular.

Anyone advise me on a good long working pond pump?
    Ideally one to use with fish in the pond - it's not just a water feature.
    Preferably also low wattage - it doesn't need to be high for the small amount it is.

2. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    It's very difficult to find a small pump that works well and you need a small pump because you want to circulate the volume of the pond every 1 to 2 hours. Could you put an external filter under the bit on the left so that once the muck is out of the pond it stays out ? You could try feeding the fish less, you'd be amazed at how little they actually need and this time of year - when the frosts start stop feeding them completely. It sounds cruel but when the temperature drops they can't digest the food and it rots inside them.
    Your floaty plants will die off if you don't take them out and put them somewhere frost free. (I read in your other post about the roots coming away)
    Fingers crossed for your surviving fish.

3. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have taken out the hyacinths now, they are in a bucket trying to catch the sun and will move into a green house soon for winter. Hopefully they will make it into next year and re-join the pond!

I could have a look at something like that, yes. At the moment I do fish out most of the dirt and fish poop with my little net which seems quite effective. My parents might have a filter I can pinch as well.
    I am still considering a new pump though..
    Seen this: http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/acatalog/Lotus-Maximus-Eco-800-Fountain-Pumps.html
    And http://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-pu...mps-293/blagdon-minipond-pump-700-347823.html

But is 10watts still a bit much? Hmm.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I think you might have to pop into B&Q and see what the smallest pump is they have for a pond and use that. You need something reliable and sturdy which will cost around £20 or so. I use a medium size pump for my pond and it works well. Is the container outside?.....I ask that because I was wondering about the Winter when you wouldn't be using it but trying to stop it freezing solid.

5. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    It is an outside container, yes.
    What would be the best thing to do over freezing periods?

I have had a look in B&Q and they all seemed a bit big.. I think the smallest was the Hozelock Cyprio 700, which i think is 11watts?

6. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, since you're wired for a pump, you could buy a pond heater [around £18] that floats on the surface keeping a portion of the top ice free. As regards pumps have a look at the Blagdon mini pond pump 900 x 1 at around £19, something in that class is probably what you need.:coffee:

7. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    Would you suggest using the heater in place of the pond pump during the freezing times then? I only have one outdoor socket.

8. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Yes, I would. When the cold really arrives the algae in the container will slow down in producing itself and the water shouldn't go as green or murky because of it. Don't forget the simple but important step of raising the pump off the bottom of the container so that it's not sucking up bottom muck into the filters of the pump.

9. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    Yes, i've got it on a plastic rectangle container in the pond to keep it off the bottom :)

10. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    That should be fine then, Elizabeth. My pond is down at the bottom of the garden and I haven't changed over yet. I change over to a heater for the whole of the Winter as my pond will stay clear because the marginal and bog plants use the nutrients in the water to grow and that denies the algae the chance to propagate and turn the water green.

11. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    Well thanks a lot for the advice Armandii.
    Having looked into heaters though, i have decided not to get one. My pond is so small, it seems silly sticking in such a high wattage instrument into the pond and too costly (being only 60litre's).

I am going to wrap it up with bubble wrap though, and create a slanted frame with doubled up bubble wrap to place over the top of my tub to shield it and insulate it from the frost and snow. Hopefully that will help work, along with my pump going to circulate the water and hopefully keep an opening for gases.

I have had a go on a fishkeeping forum in regards to advice, but have been told my fish will not survive long term in my small tub, and that they certainly will die over this winter if i do not either move them into a large pond or bring them inside. Both are not really possible - moving them inside i will have problems filtrating them as they will come back awake, and there is no large pond for me to move them to nor a more sheltered shed type area.
    So i am going to try the best i can in keeping them alive. As long as the tub does not freeze right through i stand a chance, i think.

I've already stopped feeding my fish a week or so back. I think they have gone into hibernation by my grass as they seem to spend all their time there now.

12. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Elizabeth, well they say necessity is the Mother of Invention and you've certainly been thinking about how to deal with the problems of your water feature/container freezing.
    I don't think the advice to put your fish into a large pond was very helpful advice given it wasn't something you could do. The second piece of advice was more practical as I have kept cold water fish, trout, Chub, gold fish, Roach, Bream, in a glass tank for several years through all seasons without any problems. Cold water fish don't need to hibernate and will be quite happy to carry on through the winter if the temperature of the water stays stable and warm i.e: inside a house. As regards "filtrating" the container it's not that difficult as you would just exchange part of the water regularly and you can buy a cheap vacuum that will allow you to suck up the debris from the bottom of the container to keep it clean.
    I, too, think you have a decent chance of keeping the fish alive if you can stop the water from freezing. The Carp family are quite a tough species and unless you get some really severe weather I would go for what you have planned.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
      Ratings:
      +121
      Thanks Armandii - I feel a little more positive now!

I did wonder why it seemed so doomed, but yet some people honestly keep goldfish in a bowl with no pumps of filters - they seem to be okay. Perhaps if it does start to get a bit worrying I could unfreeze the top with some hot water and then consider getting a large plastic container or keep glass tank to move them inside for the worst part of the weather. Would they then be okay with their oxygenating plants in the tank?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Elizabeth, firstly do not use hot water to get rid of ice. Some people do use the hot pan of water and place the pan on the ice to create a hole, but never pour hot water into the container as you could harm your fish!! You wouldn't like it if someone poured hot water all over you because you could get burnt....same for the fish.:snork:
      I can't see why the oxygenating plants wouldn't be happy in a large enough fish tank so long as it's got enough light. As you say it's still common practice for people to keep cold water fish in a tank in the house. I would be careful with one thing though, that is don't keep moving the fish from one container to another, once you've moved them to a tank:snork: keep them there for the Winter and the risk of ice has gone.

• Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
      Ratings:
      +121
      Yeah, that's what i had planned. Just the one move if it gets that bad.
      Hmm.. I will just have to keep an eye on the tub closely so that if emergency fish removal happens, it happens before it's too late to get to them!

I don't know. What are the chances of a 60litre tub freezing completely through?
      :dunno: