1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pond With Out A Filter And Moving Water

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by wiseowl, Aug 20, 2015.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +280
    Just been reading that Grass carp can grow up to 2" (50mm) a month!! + they can grow to 20Lb in weight!!! Do not know the needs of grass carp but friend across the road who had Koi carp had to have good filtration,I think grass carp help keep pond weeds down but no doubt will include pond plants as well!!!! if grass carp are like goldfish by next year you will have 12 or more grass carp due to nature:):):gaah::gaah:
    I got 2 types of lily in a pond around 7 x 6 ft. I also have a waterfall and it does not effect lilies at all ,but no fountain. Mind you the lilies I got are suitable for my size of pond and at opposite end to waterfall. Had lilies many years and never had any problems.
    I second the need for netting on your pond as the herons will take all your fish. We have so many plants growing in summer that heron cannot get near fish but as they start to die back the netting will have to come out.By the way we keep our pump going 24/7, 12 months of the year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,879
      Good morning @trogre my friend and thank you for that info,much appreciated and will take on board:smile::blue thumb:

ps.my problem is I tend to buy with my heart not my brain;) I can always get my carp rod out at a later date:heehee:

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,879
      Woos pond to day:smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
        Ratings:
        +1,217
        I have in the past caught grass carp to 35 pounds. When hooked they try to jump out the lake at you. They will indeed eat your plants and are hard to keep. Agree with the need for netting. Cheers, Russ

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,879
          Good afternoon @Rustler my friend and thank you, I shall borrow Mrs Woos hair net ;)