1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Possibly related to Ecomis? Asking for a friend

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by hailbopp, Aug 25, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +712
    A friend asked me what this plant is, failed miserably! She was given it with words to the effect it might survive it might not up here in Scotland. Sorry her photos are not the best.
    82D2F3D2-E06C-4A23-B409-742E2AA3E626.jpeg

The plant, probably a bulb? Was given to her in a pot so she is not really sure if it’s a bulb or not. It evidently flowered white similar to a lily. It is about 3 ft tall and I only saw it a setting seed stage. The stem is really very unusual from a colour point of view. The only plant I know that has a similar stem is Ecomis but the leaves are all wrong. This plant in,y has leaves at the top of the stem and they are pointed. Hopefully someone can tell me what it is and if so any point in try to save/ sow the seed?

2. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +712
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Possibly Sauromatum Venosum, it grows from a small corm.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    That doesn't sound like Sauromatum, which has a very unusual flower with an awful smell, it only lasts a day.

5. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +712
    Thanks JWK. Had a look at your suggestion, good idea but not that. It is the leaves which are puzzling me as there are none at the base of the plant if it is a bulb. Maybe the fund of knowledge aka Silver Surfer will be able to identify.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,036
    Possibly Dracunculus vugaris.

7. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,339
    @hailbopp
    Could be an Arisaema, picture of flower would help. Certainly the seed spike is like that of other aroids. White flower made me think Zandeschia, but leaves are wrong. Leaves also don't fit Arisaema candissimum.
    Seeds will turn orange/red when ripe and I have germinated them. I followed this advise
    Growing Arisaema from Seed – Arisaema Resource
    Applies to pretty much all aroids. Rubber gloves recommended when cleaning seed as berrys contain fine crystals of calcium oxalate which are sharp and irritating.

8. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +712
    Lol I thought you were taking the proverbial and it was something to do with Dracula! Googled it and no you were not trying to pull my leg, however sadly unless friend has lost her marbles she told me it flowered but the flower was sort of Lily like and white. I am beginning to wonder if she is mistaken or been on too much gin!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,339
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,339
    • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
      +712
      Many thanks Nigel, I had a look at the link you sent and some of the different varieties have a distinct similarity to what I saw. The photo was taken yesterday. Friend was given the plant last year and it did not flower. It died right down in the autumn, she presumed she had lost it, she is not a very knowledgeable, but getting keen gardener. To her delight it reappeared and she told me it flowered white and similar to a lily, BUT what she might think is like a Lily and what is was really like could be different, and gin might have played a part in the perhaps wrong description! The leaves of some of the Arisaema are similar and are towards the top of the stem and some have this very striking odd coloured stems. I will have a further look for photos on the net to see if I can 100% identify but great shout.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,339
      In that case it's likely to be summer flowering Arisaema, I still have leaves on some of mine. Not many white ones though. Leaf shape is a good identifier for them .
      They can be addictive though and a number would be hardy in Scotland.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,685
        I'd say a variety of arisaema.

• Like Like x 1
        • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
          +712
          Thanks everybody, success. I found a photo of Arisaema Tortuosum flowering on the net which looked pretty right leaf and stem wise and sent it to my pal. :hapydancsmil:Friend has confirmed you are correct and passes on her thanks. The plant is growing in her walled garden......I try SO HARD not to go green when I visit her garden, what wouldn’t I give to have such a great area to grow things with little fear of plants being damaged by high winds plus increase in temperatures.The Arisaema is growing in front of a wall so a good spot for it,I doubt it would survive in my much more open garden,sadly.

• Like Like x 1
          • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
            Ratings:
            +3,271
            How did I miss this thread?
            I love Arisaema, used to grow, many different sp.
            Still grow a few in new garden here in Perth.
            They come fro Himalaya region so should be fine outside in the ground even in Scotland.

The original pic is not very clear.
            I am having trouble making out the shape /pattern of a single leaf....I have tried to lighten original pic...1st pic below
            Other pics below are my Arisaema tortuosa...not sure if it is a match.
            Id from leaves is not safe...you need to see the flower..the spathe etc.
            82D2F3D2-E06C-4A23-B409-742E2AA3E626.jpg ARISAEMA  TORTUOSUM 04-06-2009 18-29-54.JPG ARISAEMA  TORTUOSUM 04-06-2009 18-30-14.JPG ARISAEMA  TORTUOSUM 05-06-2009 12-04-47.JPG ARISAEMA  TORTUOSUM 05-06-2009 12-05-30.JPG ARISAEMA  TORTUOSUM 05-09-2007 15-54-15.JPG ARISAEMA  TORTUOSUM 23-06-2010 11-39-00.JPG

• Informative Informative x 3
            • Like Like x 1