1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoes in Containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Pauline Adams, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Pauline Adams

Pauline Adams Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been growing veggies in raised beds for a few years, with a good success rate. However I find that potatoes take up too much room. I would like to try them in containers... I have some Marie Pier chitting at present. Please could somebody advise the best size of container and how many pots per. I am tempted to try them in black bags...but am not sure.
    I would really appreciate any advice.

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A way ive tried is to plant tatties inside car tyres. As the leaves grow up add another tyre and fill it with more compost to increase the depth. I planted three per tyre stack (two would have been enough) and stacked them to a height of four tyres and got good early spuds. Ive also planted them in big buckets but there is only enough room for one seed per bucket. Hope thats a help.

Cloudy

3. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed potatoes ( I always used "Charlotte"), cover with another 9 inches or so of compost and then as the leaves appear above the compost keep adding more compost untill the bin is full. When the leaves start to die off empty your bin and it should be full of potatoes. Make sure you keep the compost watered. Father used the same principal but with old car tyres, stacking more tyres and filling with compost as the plants grew!

Not sure about plastic sacks but must be worth a try. Good luck.