1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

potatoes in pots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by young996, Feb 24, 2009.

1. young996

young996 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morn all

over the weekend I went to the garden centure and got some seed potatoes, some large 50cm Patio tubs and a good few bags of organic choice potatoes & veg gro-sac. Not the cheapest I know but could'nt wait for my veg patch to be ready later in the year. what I would like to know is do I still need to add soil to the compost and how meany chitting potatoes should I place in each pot.

thanks for your help

2. benacre

benacre Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No just fill with compost and place one potato in each pot. Once the leaves are up water with a general fertiliser every ten days. The potatoes will produce a higher yield if planted singly. Normally potatoes are nine inches apart anyway.

3. young996

Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on thank you, will let you know how I get on.

Enjoy

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I used to grow 5 seed potato's per black dustbin, and got fantastic yields. 1 on its own seems a waste to me, but each to their own!

5. benacre

benacre Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the yield you require really. I prefer larger potatoes and grow Arran pilot. for soemthing like the salad spud Vanessa I would plant three spuds per container. It really is personal preference

6. young996

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, was just thinking I need to get some more pots, I have four already. I have gone for Arran victory (10 off) and Desiree again 10 off. Only noticed that they are main crop type after I got home. Maybe my oldman will let me plant the rest at his place. cheers & enjoy

7. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I did the same with my black bin last year.. 5 pots

8. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought some salad potatoes from T&M I also bought 30 exhibition bags to grow them in I know one spud per bag but do you fill the bags with compost straight away or wait till the leaves are up as the bags don't look that big, has anyone tried these will I get a good crop?

9. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    All sorts of possibilities. I suppose it would depend on how big your pot/tub is but you got me thinking maybe some in the greenhouse and moved out later hmmm. I have grown some in tubs outside but much later and quite good results.