1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoes - when to harvest?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GazSuttonUK, Jul 17, 2013.

1. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I have 4 Potato bags each with 2 Charlotte, they have grown very well and have now started to flower...I take the next stage will be the foliage dying down....?
    When is the best(right) time to tip the bags out and see my potatoes(hopefully)?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,809
    Once the flowers disappear tends to be the time but you always check by having a rummage. Keep fed and watered.

3. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Does the foliage have to die down before I can harvest?

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Maincrop being lifted for winter storage - probably a good idea.

For eating now - lift one and have a look at the crop and decide if they are "read enough" (decent sized tubers have formed) for eating. If all you get are tiddlers then wait a bit longer :)

Generally if they have finished flowering they are ready but not all varieties flower, and even then not every year, and we start harvesting First Earlies long before they flower - because we are prepared, and have enough land to be able to, sacrifice crop yield for earliness and being able to eat-our-own :)